COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Rid Us of Korean Vermin

Old Feb 17th, 2017, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

Rid Us of Korean Vermin

It is beyond incompetence that there are no mods to get rid of the Korean vermin who come to inhabit this site. Please get somebody who can take down this garbage as soon as it is posted. It is becoming more and moe difficult to visit this site.
Old Feb 17th, 2017, 09:48 PM
kja

Frankly, as irritating as the Korean posts are, I think the mods are doing an awesome job of speedily deleting them. So I'm inclined to thank the mods, rather than to criticize them. JMO.
Old Feb 17th, 2017, 10:53 PM

Those of you who live in the US probably aren't as bothered by them as we who live in Europe.
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 12:01 AM

While I agree with much of the sentiment, I think the term "Vermin" is not required.
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 12:50 AM

I agree with kja - the mods do a great job of getting rid of them asap. Yes we Europeans see them more than US posters, but they do get removed a lot faster now than in the past.
I also agree with bilbo that calling them vermin is inappropriate.
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 12:50 AM
Original Poster

What else would you call them?
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 01:03 AM

>

Spam.

I agree with bilbo and hetismij2 that the term "vermin" is inappropriate.

I don't remember the details, but I believe the moderators had explained in a post in the Lounge that there is no easy way of filtering out the spam with the format that Fodors uses for its forums which is the reason they will be moving toward the "Flyertalk" style eventually. I agree that they are doing a good job of staying on top of removing the spam on a daily basis, a task that must be pretty frustrating to do.
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 01:24 AM

I agree with people who agree with thse who say that the mods are doing a great job, and that vermin is inappropriate.
One could say their firewalls are as porous as toilet paper but nevertheless it is outside mod's repsonibility.
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 03:00 AM

The title of the thread is unnecessary and misleading. Catchy titles do get readers attention. However, after reading the thread and understanding its context, I don't have any problem with calling spam "vermin." I spend more money on IT guys to protect my computers from spam than I care to. I hate spammers, and I'll do just about anything to cause them great pain.

I'm sorry the Europeans are continuing to suffer with this. The problem will lose participants, for sure. Things have improved in our time zone. If this board switches to a vbulletin UI, there's no telling how many more loyalists will leave. Switching UI may be the only way to fix the problem. The writing is on the wall.
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 03:40 AM

Problem with the title us that it sounds like something Teump might say.
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 04:03 AM

I'm with NYC and find no problem calling a spade a spade. For no discernible reason they persist in inconveniencing all of us with this pointless spam, and that really pi$$es me off. If you don't like the term "vermin", how about "swine"?
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 04:16 AM

Try bookmarking for a specific tag within a forum. On the Europe forum, mostly the spammers either don't tag for a country at all, or one at the top of the alphabet. I bookmark for the UK, so I tend not to see the spam that much.
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 04:24 AM

Fodor's is now owned by Internet Brands which also owns Slow Travel. They are supposed to change the software on the boards.

The software on these boards is embarrassingly antiquated. I assume because they have recently acquired Fodors, the new owners have grander ideas and ways to attract new posters and that would include better ways to thwart spam, rather than the fly swatter and pest strip they now use.
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 05:08 AM

I believe the objection is that the title could appear to be referring to Korean people in general or denigrating Koreans. I'd like to see how those who think that is appropriate would react if the title said something like that about Muslims, Africans, etc., or any particular group of people because some of them do bad things.
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 05:44 AM

I see your point, Christina. The title could be taken that way, if viewed out of the context of the Korean spam that is the real subject of the thread. Obviously it is the spammers, not the nation that deserves whatever expletives we choose to throw at them. I'm sure most of the readers understood the thread in that light.

I spent a lot of time in that country, once as a young Marine, conducting a soils survey, i.e., digging muddy holes and living in them, and later working for the United Nations, and have nothing but admiration for that resolute people. I must confess my admiration stops at the 38th parallel, though. It is difficult to harbor warm feelings for a folk that tried so diligently to kill me, even after all these years.
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 06:37 AM

<there is no easy way of filtering out the spam with the format that Fodors uses for its forums which is the reason they will be moving toward the "Flyertalk" style eventually.>

When you get a load of that style, you'll be wishing for the spam back.

< If you don't like the term "vermin", how about "swine"?>
For the thousandth time, these posts are done by BOTS. Sure, a person programmed the bots, but still, your outrage is absurd, and the time you spend concocting insults, wasted.

The only thing more boring than spam is these threads complaining about spam. They are the modern day equivalent of "Get off my lawn!"

If you want to rant, send the mods an email. (I wouldn't, as they are aware of this problem and clearly are working on it, but if you want to be a pest, go for it.)