Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

US Set to Announce a Travel Alert for Europe

Oct 2nd, 2010, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

So, will this make any one alter any plans?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101003/..._terror_threat
Oct 2nd, 2010, 06:02 PM

As J.R so aptly put it....

How does suggesting that Americans shouldn't go out in public discourage terrorists in any way?

The point of terrorism is to terrorise, and if they can get people hiding under their beds without actually having done anything, one might suggest they have already won.

On top of that, for the US to recommend that US citizens don't go to public places while European governments aren't giving the same advice applies either the Europeans don't care if their citizens get mown down in a blaze of gunfire at a tourist attraction, or the Americans are over-reacting.
Oct 2nd, 2010, 06:17 PM

That only shows that americans are fearful about any irrational thing. They fear to br killed by "terrorists" even more than being killed by transfats. No, not Osama will kill you, the french fry will do the job. LOL. Tell Obama to drop a few more bombs, if that makes you feel better,
Oct 2nd, 2010, 06:17 PM

Aramis: That is hilarious. I'm almost inclined to think it is a hoax.

An entire continent under an unspecified threat. Everyone stay indoors!

One expects a little more specificity from government agencies. How useful is it to hear (yet again): "Be afraid. Be very afraid"?

I'm heading to Italy in less than 2 weeks and I'm gonna PROUDLY WEAR MY MAPLE LEAF PIN and no terrorist will mess with me.
Oct 2nd, 2010, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

I don't think it is a hoax. They have some "credible" information that Mumbai style attacks -train station and hotel attacks - were being planned, (maybe "planned" is too strong a word).

I think it is more of a cat and mouse game. They get the information they find credible, they let the terrorist planners know they have it and that people are going to be on the lookout for it in the hopes that the plan is scrapped and they bad guys go back to the drawing board.
Oct 2nd, 2010, 06:54 PM

If I was trying to infiltrate an organization I would not publivly reveal that I knew what they were up to, with no arrests. Just means they can re-organize and plug the hole
Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:17 PM

Avoid "public places" - like anywhere in Europe outside of a mountainside. Way to go O.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 01:09 AM

There is absolutely NO warning to us Europeans who live on this continent. If this is mentioned on the news at all there is a general shaking of heads about this latest case of paranoia beyond the pond.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 02:05 AM

Unfortunately, information about the plot, which is at an early stage was leaked to the American press.
There was a similar thing with the liquids bombers.
The plot was revealed before the intelligence people had time to complete proper surveillance and it looks as though several of the gang escaped.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 06:14 AM

>>>>>>
There is absolutely NO warning to us Europeans who live on this continent. If this is mentioned on the news at all there is a general shaking of heads about this latest case of paranoia beyond the pond.
>>>>>>

not true at all...there ARE warnings for us europeans...look at the uk travel advisories for travel to other european countries and even sweden has raised their internal alert level to caution people. france has also raised their alert level and this has been highly publicised.

and the british travel office has previously issued a terror warning for us britons travelling to america. the wording is quite similar in tone and content.

why on earth are we calling the americans paranoid when our governments are issuing nearly identical warnings for travel within europe and to america? the american warning simply say to be vigilant which is what our own warnings say. some of the comments here really boggle the mind.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 06:49 AM
DKA

We're going to France in a couple of weeks and I'll admit the news is unsettling.

On the other hand, US airports have been at "threat stage Orange" every time I've flown over the past nine years.

We'll try not to let this new warning distract us so much we forget about the Metro pickpockets.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

The UK Foreign Office has released their warning

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11462595

It is far too easy to invoke hindsight and call these warnings, and alerts evidence of paranoia.

Claiming that since nothing major has ever happened in the aftermath of one that they are "irrational" and based on fear ignores one potentially important point, logos. You don't know, or at least can't prove, which events you have stopped through intelligence work.

"It's never happened to me so it won't happen" is a shortsighted and simplistic approach to managing risk.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:08 AM

They've announced on the US TV - Britain has narrowed it to France and Germany.

If we stop traveling, terrorism will win. I think the US economy supports terrorism as it keeps me at home for now
Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:45 AM

" Britain has narrowed it to France and Germany. "

Not quite:

The Foreign Office - obviously - doesn't issue advisories about travel within Britain. The Home Office's current estimate of the terrorism risk in Britain ("severe") decodes as "an attack is highly likely". This is slightly higher than the Foreign Office risk estimate for France and Germany of "a high threat of terrorism"
Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:46 AM

Those fears are irrational. In the end we all will die. No matter if you travel or not. Terrorists never have been the problem. They are few and virtually powerless. Rational people worry about threats that have at least a slight chance of becoming a problem for them. State terrorism is much more excessive and is a problem in many countries.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:22 AM

I wish I could say that I'm going to Europe this fall, but I'm not. But I wouldn't hesitate to go if I had the chance.

I've been in London several times when there were IRA attacks, and experienced the kind of security that these events warranted. I appreciate them, and I know these threats are real. But I can't live my life being afraid--it could happen anywhere, including here in Canada.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:31 AM

i agree with flanner. debate all you want whether these kinds of terror alerts are hysterics or necessary info for travellers but one thing is very clear...

THIS IS NOT JUST AN AMERICAN THING as incorrectly suggested by many posts on this topic (this thread and others). european governments have also issued warnings nearly indistinguishable to the ones that america has issued. european news is just as pre-occupied with terror alerts, sleeper cells, and what-if scenarios. as tempting as it is to sit there once again smugly accuse america of paranoia and hysterical fear over travel, foreign places and foreign people, someone had to put an end to this nonsense (as usual, it's me). exposing nonsense one post at a time.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:36 AM

We leave for London, England and then on to Ireland in 35 days.
Ted, perhaps I should look for my little maple leaf pin too !
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:53 AM

If there is ever actual terrorist activities like blowing up train stations or bombs in public places, your Canadian pin isn't gonna save you!
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:13 PM

If someone puts some TNT into your behind and ignites it, there's hardly anything that can save you. Live with it or stay in your flat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO