Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Revised Spain/Morocco trip comments? Tips on Granada/Fes travel & Gibraltar day trip?

Search

Revised Spain/Morocco trip comments? Tips on Granada/Fes travel & Gibraltar day trip?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2018, 11:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In response to many comments about trying to do too much, I've revised our approximately 2 week long trip to what you see below. Any thoughts/comments/tips welcome - I am particularly interested in the best way to get from Granada to Fes, and how (if possible) to best fit a day trip to Gibraltar in. I may be able to add a day or two in somewhere depending on the flights I get from Canada to to Seville and return.

I should also mention that we are not spending time in Seville as we have already done so and want to focus on new places. No disrespect meant to Seville - it's pretty incredible!

Current plans are below :
  • Fly into Seville from Canada then bus directly to Cordoba (stay 3 nights)
  • Day 1 & 2 = Cordoba
  • Day 3 = bus to Granada (stay 3 nights)
  • Day 4 & 5 = Granada
  • Day 6 = ??? to Fes (stay 3 nights)
  • Day 9 = Grand taxi to Marrakesh, stay 3 nights
  • Day 12 = Fly to Seville as transfer point and continue on home
TIA - R.
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 06:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: transfer to Fes. Consult Rome2Rio. Looks like it would be slightly better to reverse Granada and Cordoba, but you will eat most of a day.

I would not book a Transatlantic flight out of Seville the day I arrived there unless the flight from Marrakesh was on the same ticket. Look for a multicity itinerary into Seville and out of Marrakesh instead.
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 08:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
no need to take a grand taxi you can take the Pullman
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 04:22 PM
kja

I like that you are giving both Cordoba and Granada 3 nights. For the Alhambra, be sure to book as far in advance as you can. I wanted a full day for the palace and grounds and then a separate evening visit just for the Nasrid Palace.

I agree with thursdaysd about your departure -- either book for a multi city itinerary out of Marrakesh (whether it is routed through Sevilla or not) or return to Sevilla the night before your flight.
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 10:24 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, indeed, train Fes to Marrakech.
Old Oct 7th, 2018, 11:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks folks - we're taking the train to Marrakesh, and booked an open jaw flight into Madrid and out of Marrakesh. And fortunately, we did get Alhambra tickets!

- R.
Old Oct 8th, 2018, 09:47 AM
kja

Enjoy!
Old Oct 8th, 2018, 01:19 PM

If you go to Gibraltar - seems unlikely - but if add a few days that Gibraltar probably has flights to Moroccan cities too. Or, fly from Morocco to Gibraltar then train to Seville. But though Gibraltar is kind of neat not worth all the hassle IMO. I'd add extra days and see Seville, to me the best of those three cities in Andalusia. Too bad not even a day there - I'd take a day off Cordoba and stay in Seville your landing day or more if can add more. You can get cheap trains to Cordoba too if book far enough in advance to get discounted tickets - Renfe - www.seat61.com has loads on doing that yourselves online - general info trains and buses also www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts.
Old Oct 8th, 2018, 01:58 PM

I agree 3 nights in Cordoba and 3 nights in Granada is a good idea. We had 2 nights in each city and would have enjoyed a 3rd night in each. So, looks like you are not flying into or out of Seville. That's what I was going to suggest since you are not spending any time there. Are you spending any time in Madrid?

For a hidden gem in Cordoba, I recommend the Palacio de Viana. Do you need any restaurant suggestions?
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Rooster99
In response to many comments about trying to do too much, I've revised our approximately 2 week long trip to what you see below. Any thoughts/comments/tips welcome - I am particularly interested in the best way to get from Granada to Fes, and how (if possible) to best fit a day trip to Gibraltar in. I may be able to add a day or two in somewhere depending on the flights I get from Canada to to Seville and return.

I should also mention that we are not spending time in Seville as we have already done so and want to focus on new places. No disrespect meant to Seville - it's pretty incredible!

Current plans are below :
  • Fly into Seville from Canada then bus directly to Cordoba (stay 3 nights)
  • Day 1 & 2 = Cordoba
  • Day 3 = bus to Granada (stay 3 nights)
  • Day 4 & 5 = Granada
  • Day 6 = ??? to Fes (stay 3 nights)
  • Day 9 = Grand taxi to Marrakesh, stay 3 nights
  • Day 12 = Fly to Seville as transfer point and continue on home
TIA - R.
There are long distance buses that go from Fez to Marrakech; nothing compared to local buses. It's about a six hour trip if I remember correctly.
If you find that one day in Fez is enough, you could take a local bus to Sefrou.
My recollection is that Meknčs has more to offer in terms of tourist sights than Fez.
https://flic.kr/s/aHsjoUVige

Last edited by Michael; Oct 9th, 2018 at 10:10 AM.