Iceland in February

Search

Iceland in February

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2018, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iceland in February

I am a solo traveler thinking of doing an 8-day minibus Golden Circle tour starting from Rekjavik the end of February 2019. My biggest concern is the weather in February, but I understand it can be mild or raging...one never knows. Can anyone advise? Thank you.
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 08:20 AM

Well, you got that right. It can be mild or raging. What else do you want to know? Who can predict it? Not you or me or anyone else.

I've been to Iceland 3 times, twice in April and once many years ago in December. I froze my azz off every time, and I'm fairly weather-impermeable. It's a damn cold country.
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 09:56 AM

I agree with St Cirq.

The weather can do anything. For its latitude, Iceland should be much much colder but it “benefits” from the mild, damp air of the North Atlantic drift. If the jet stream moves in the wrong pattern, you can and will get anything in February. Anything other than 20oC and beach weather.

The Icelandic population doesn’t moan like Floridans, they just take 120 mile an hour winds in their stride. Hire cars have been known to be blown over.

We visited 18 months ago in February.

It was 8oC every day for a week, no snow below 2000 ft and I couldn’t wear a coat it was so mild. I drove 1200km in.week.

the week after we left, it dropped to -5oC a snow storm hit, travel was severely disrupted.

In short don’t plan anything fixed and expect anything.