Search

Iceland in Winter

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iceland in Winter

Hi,

I'm thinking about doing a five night trip to Iceland in early December. I'm prepared for the cold, and I've actually been wanting to get during the winter season. My question, however, is that I am seeking a place to stay other than reykjavik for part of my time there. I can rent a vehicle and drive from Reykjavik if there are other towns that are worth spending the night in. I assume that an overnight is needed because of how few daylight hours are.
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 11:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
towns are a bit thin on the ground in Iceland, at least within striking distance of Reykjavik on a winter's day when you don't know where you are going.

Borganes is a possible but I don't know what it's like to stay there in the winter.

slightly further afield, there is Osnavik on the Snaefellnesses peninsular, and Vik in the south.

here's a website that has some ideas about what to do in winter but they seem to stay in Reykjavik every night:

http://www.icelandholidays.com/packa...-explorer.html

these people might help as well:

http://www.farmholidays.is/search-result/?tours=3

good luck!
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 12:15 PM

I'm also considering a five day trip to Iceland, in my case in early February. I've been looking at the IcelandAir packages, have you looked at those?

If anyone has taken any of the IcelandAir packages, which ones and what did you think?
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 02:10 PM

Have you looked at the hours of daylight in Iceland in winter?

A "five night trip" is more accurate than a "five day trip."
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Yes,

I'm completely aware of the lack of daylight. I want to go for the more authentic experience. Any small towns that I could stay in overnight that are close to other attractions. Is it possible to drive in early December from Reykjavik to Skogafoss and do the Golden Circle another day, too? I want to be realistic about my limitations in the winter. Has anyone else visited then?
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 08:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it possible to drive in early December from Reykjavik to Skogafoss and do the Golden Circle another day, too?>>

of course it's possible to do it - just not sure why you'd want to. Your problem may be finding accommodation outside Reykjavik, however there is a big hotel opposite the Geysers - you might want to see if it's open that time of year.

http://www.geysircenter.is/?c=webpag...5&option=links

otherwise I suggest trying the Icelandic tourist Board - they may be able to help you.
Old Sep 25th, 2015, 03:46 AM

Driving along the South coast is usually quite easy in winter. You can for example stay for the night in the wonderful town of Vík, where you have the black sand beaches and the Reynisdrangar Sea Stacks. After your stay there you can continue driving east to the Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon and stay for the night in Höfn town.

You can check out this site: https://tripcreator.com/

They offer a great travel planner for your Iceland trip and have some great information about locations and activities.