Search

Iceland in 7 days.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2016, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iceland in 7 days.

Hi all,

We are planning a one week trip to Iceland in mid-March with our two children, ages 19 and 17, and we will be there for six full days.

We do not know where to base ourselves, what towns to stay in and which part of Iceland we should visit for the time we are there.

Any help with this itinerary would be really appreciated.

Thank you so much.
Old Sep 2nd, 2016, 01:23 PM

In mid-March, it's definitely winter and days will be short. I doubt anyone will advise that you rent a car - driving conditions are apparently brutal in the winter, even for people who have a lot of winter driving experience.

Apart from Reykjavik, all of the towns in Iceland are small, so you may want to base yourself in the city and then take day trips.

To be honest, there are a lot more Iceland posters on Tripadvisor, and you may want to check there if you haven't already.
Old Sep 2nd, 2016, 01:35 PM

Note that a lot of roads will be closed during the winter so keep that in mind.
Old Sep 2nd, 2016, 04:35 PM
kja

A good guidebook or two should prove immensely useful.
Old Sep 2nd, 2016, 06:27 PM

Kja, have you been to Iceland too? I'm going next June? I need to find a place where I'm not traveling in your footsteps. �� Costa Rica? Malta? Morocco?
Old Sep 2nd, 2016, 07:10 PM
kja

@ MinnBeef: No, I haven't been to Iceland yet, but it's on my radar, as are Costa Rica, Malta, and Morocco. I'll look forward to following in your footsteps when possible, to leading when necessary, and to continuing to learn from each for what I hope will be many, many years. (And BTW, I haven't forgotten the great advice you gave me about Hakone - even partial departures from footsteps can be very informative!)
Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 04:30 AM

There are countless websites devoted to Iceland, including the very useful official Reykjavik site. It shouldn't be difficult to use them, as well as guidebooks, to inform yourselves.
Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

I find it best to ask actual travellers in a forum such as this for their advice, as guidebooks and editorials are not the same as actual questions and answers that people can discuss about their own personal preferences and experiences.

Would it be best to stay in Reykjavik for the week and take day trips, or split our time into both Reykjavik and another town.

If so, which other town would you recommend?

Thanks
Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 06:36 AM

We were in Iceland for just a few days last fall. I personally would not want to stay in town for a whole week. We did day trips when we were there, but if we had a week I would absolutely go stay somewhere outside of Reykjavik as well. I would do a couple days in town, and then go stay elsewhere. The countryside is stunning and is the whole reason to visit Iceland, IMO.
Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, mms.

We would like to spend most, if not all, of our time, in the countryside, and that is why we are asking for another town to base ourselves.

Any recommendations would welcome.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 01:04 PM

@kja--you will love all 3 of those places when you go. Malta is probably best done in conjunction with somewhere else. I did 3 days there as part of a trip to Italy. Be sure to zipline in Costa Rica. It is amazaing, heartpounding and exhilirating. And Morocco is simply incredible, especially the architecture, culture and natural scenery.
Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 03:32 PM
kja

@ MinnBeef: Thanks! I know I'll enjoy them each.
Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 03:35 PM

kja, if you want info about Morocco, it's one of my favorite places on earth. Be in touch. Been there many times. I don't follow the Fodor's Africa board much, but you can find me in the Lounge or at my screen name at aol dot com.
Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 03:42 PM
kja

@ StCirq: Thanks -- I'll do that! Unfortunately, it isn't in my immediate future. Too many places to visit in this world!
Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 04:06 PM

And with that, I'm going to apologize to the OP for completely hijacking her thread.
Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 06:27 PM

I'd say you want at least three days for Golden Circle and South Coast - stay in Vik or somewhere between Vik and Hofn or both. This gives you most of the dramatic waterfalls, glacial lagoons, and glaciers. I did go in March 2015 and highlights included a glacier trek and ice caving on the South Coast.

Then head back to Reykjavik. Don't miss the Snaefellsnes Peninsula for scenery/countryside: can be done as a full day trip from Reykjavik, but an overnight would be great as well (Hotel Budir is good solid lodging to look into). Finish with final day in Reykjavik.

My sort of trip report from my March visit is here:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...e-and-fire.cfm
Old Sep 4th, 2016, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

No problem, MinnBeef. What better way to find out about new and exciting places to visit than those places that come up in conversations that are worlds away from the places we are discussing?

inspiredexplorer, thanks for the detailed information. This makes it easier for us to narrow our choices about what to see and where to stay in the 6/7 days we are there.

Thank you so much.
Old Dec 9th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Hello everyone,

We are considering changing our plans and travelling to Icelend in July for 7 days (instead of March) and combining this with 7 or 8 days in a northern European country.

If you had a choice, which would you choose:

Iceland & Scotland
Iceland & Sweden
Iceland & Denmark

Thank you for your help.