Search

Iceland: Basic Questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iceland: Basic Questions

Hi,

We're just exploring the possibility of traveling to Iceland next year.

1) What is the best month to go?

2) What airlines go to Iceland? Has anyone tried using airline miles? We have AA, UA, Continental, Delta.

3) How long to go and what are the must-see/must-dos. We're open to anything quitessentially Iceland.

Thanks!
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 12:59 PM

Icelandair i believe still has pretty much a lock on the market - flies from several U.S. cities.

Go in the summer or in the winter it's virtually all dark - in summer all light.

Reykyavik, the capital is a small boring city IMO and the joys of Iceland lie in its awesome natural features - geysers, rugged interior, etc. - which i do not know much about

I've stopped in Reykyavik three times and only did a day trip to some kind of geyser so can't describe its real attractions.

Don't go to Iceland for museums or old-world atmosphere but for natural wonders (and fresh fish).
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 01:08 PM

you should boycott iceland. they are irresponsible with their finances and refuse to make good on their banking obligations. they are just making life worse for us britons. shame on them.
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 01:16 PM

walkinaround - are you boycotting Icelandic fish?

if town councils were stupid enough to invest much of their funds in attractive Icelandic banking deals blame them - i saw no boycotts being mentioned when councils and individual Britons were raking in big interest rates.

Caveat emptor bub.
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 01:31 PM

they misled us. we thought that iceland was just like one of those harmless offshore islands. you know, the ones with all the paedophiles and the funky cows. and then there's that island with only men living there. we have no idea about any of these freaky places. we just know that they are supposed to be safe places where we can put our money without paying taxes. they are sort of britain and not really foreign so we thought it would be safe there? isn't iceland one of them?
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 06:24 PM

we went last year in June -- just about 24 hours of sunlight, moderate temps 40-60s. We're leaving again tomorrow to hopefully see the Northern Lights and do a glacier walk.
As far as I know Icelandair is the only airline that flies there internationally.
Go on the Golden Circle Tour, to the ice lagoon [seen in James Bond movies] to Vik black sand beach, up north to Akureyri and the Arctic Circle, thermal areas up north, blue lagoon, Gulfloss and Godafoss, site of the first parliament, so many beautiful places!!!
Get a guidebook and take tours to get the history and legends. Unbelieveable beauty, everyone speaks English, the people are friendly, and now it's not expensive!!
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 08:06 AM

Is walkinaround really CW in de skies?

Seems awfully similar - no sxxx Sherlock?
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 10:30 AM

anyone else besides suer. got any good advice for the OP?
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 11:59 AM

sueara has a good summary. I went in October and most of the tours had closed down -- definitely think summertime.

Rekyavik is a charming small city, probably a 2-3 day visit at most. The main thing to do is take tours to the amazing natural features: Glacier ice into lava pits, that kind of thing. And the hot springs and spas, especially Blue Lagoon. You can also take excursions to nearby islands to see the Puffins (summer only).

On the weekends Reykyavik turns in to the most amazing party town. Restuarants turn into clubs, shops turn into clubs, and the pounding music makes all of main street vibrate, into the very wee hours. You don't have to party like that, but it is amazing to witness.

With the collapse of their economy Iceland has a great exchange rate right now, and they would love to have you visit. Iceland Air is your only choice.

England has declared Iceland a terrorist state, but that was a ploy to grab up all their invested funds from the bank. Its not really a terrorist state.

Old Dec 11th, 2008, 12:14 PM

If you meet some of the locals, be prepared to drink your butt off!! Icelanders seem to get drunk on a regular basis. Also for all you PETA fans,(this is great!!), it is a tradition in Iceland to shoot and cook Puffins!!!!!
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 12:17 PM

lbk - i could not afford to get drunk when i was in Iceland - about $10 a beer - but with the banking collapse maybe prices have declined

don't tell me the CHOI HOI or whatever you call that tub has been to Iceland?

Puffins are 'rats with wings'
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 12:32 PM

Pal....Watch out...PETA will get you!! No, "CHU-HOI", has never been anywhere near Iceland. Took a layover Icelandic Air, there a few years ago. It was $$$$ as you said.
We have had a stormy day today and now it is supposed to get colder and windy. We are still in harbor in Keys, Islamorada. It is very interesting; most of the winter boat people who were already gone from here in other years are just passing time in port. The recession and wall Street debacle has hit these people too. Me included!!!!!
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 12:37 PM

<No, "CHU-HOI", has never been anywhere>

I believe that - tight lines and all

cheers
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 12:55 PM

Palo...your alzheimers is acting up again.....You still have a standing invite to come down and enjoy the breezes, seafood and hospitality of all of us at the dock. I know it is tough on you this time of year peering out of your basement bedroom window, looking across the N.J. Turnpike at the dirty snow, sleet and accumulated garbage.
Let me know!!!!!!! Ciao, and Tight Lines during this Christmas Season of Peace!!!!
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 01:02 PM

Seasons greetings or happy holidays to you too, mate.

Iceland Tourist Board
This new 384-page travel guide details the best of Iceland, from the hip capital city of Reykjavik to the raw beauty of the country ...
www.icelandtouristboard.com/

Icelandic Tourist Board
Practical information and listing of travel possibilities in six languages.
www.icetourist.is/
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 01:10 PM

I usually try to ignore the babblings of 'walkinaround' as they are inevitably worthless opinions wrapped in affected illiteracy.

The offerings above however surpass all the previous drivel.

Go away 'walkinaround' until you have something productive and intelligent to say. Better still, travel beyond these shores and learn what happens in other countries. You know nothing.

suerapzen and capxxx, thank you, good advice.

Old Dec 11th, 2008, 01:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi JC,

having spent about 12 days in iceland this summer [if you click on my name and look for "round Iceland with a cucumber" you'll find my still-unfinished trip report] I'll have a go at your quiz:

1) best month - depends what you want to do/see. if you want the northern lights, you'll have to go in the autumn/winter/spring.
if you want decent weather and no night-time, and the sorts of things that most tourists want, [like hotels and restaurants to be open] you'll have to go in the summer.

2) airlines. don't know about flgihts from the US. from the UK, there are Iceland air, and the Icelandic Express which we flew from Stanstead which was fine.

3) how long to do main sights?

if you only want Reykyavik [2 days or so] and the "Golden Circle" [another day] you could do it in 3-4 days/nights.

if you would like to see the whole island [and in retrospect this is what we should have gone for] you really need at least 12 days, 14 for preference.

IMHO, a "must sees" tour of the whole island would cover [anti-clockwise from the airport at Keflavik]

South/east via skogarfoss to the westerman islands and VIK,

a boat trip round the icebergs on the inland lake at Jokulsarlon

lake mytvatn

the far west of the western fjords to see the bird cliffs of teh latrabjarg peninsular and the fjords themselves

the ferry across the breidafjordur to Stikkisholmur [the best 3 hours I've spent at sea, ever]

the golden circle.

Reykjavik [definitely the museum of iceland which we really enjoyed, contrary to something another poster said]

don't be put off by my grumblings about the cost - that should be very different now.

but DO be put off by what I say about self-catering - DON'T DO IT. the farmhouse B&Bs are great and IMO the best way to see the country for the least cost.

hope this helps,

regards, ann
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 08:25 AM

Well the Icelandic Kroner or whatever they call it is twice as cheap for dollar holders this year as last year - after the recent Icelandic financial collapse

so beers will probably only cost about $8
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 07:17 AM

We just got back from Iceland Monday.
The prices are much much better and although still not cheap, they were half what they were before.
No northern lights!! But the glacier walk was great!
And the blue lagoon is totally different experience in the freezing cold!
Sunrise at 11 a.m. and sunset at 3:30 p.m. is also an interesting experience.
Iceland is still my favorite island in the world, and that'a saying a lot since it's not in the Caribbean!
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 07:39 AM

ICELANDAIR - Flights and Packages www.icelandair.com or 800-223-5500

www.visitreykjavik.is - check out Reykjavik Welcome Card

airport shuttles to hotels - reykjavik Excursions Flybus www.re.is - $20 return for $33 you get airport transfer and transfers to the Blue Lagoon Spa, 45 mins from Reykjavik - called the grandaddy of geothermal pools.

www.grayline.is offers guided excursions around Iceland - such as Golden Circle tour - to geyser fields, Gullfoss waterfall and Thingvelir National Park

Traditional Icelandic restaurant: Laekjarbrekka - great fish meal $50

www.icelandtouristboard

(This info was in a detailed article writ by Jane Clark for USA Today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -