Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Revised Ireland Itinerary- Thanks for Suggestions!

Old Mar 10th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone who commented on our first draft- hope this one's better
Day 1- arrive in Dublin around noon, pick up rental and head to Cashel for overnight.

Day 2- Visit Rock of Cashel in am, Blarney Castle in pm. Overnight near Killarney.

Day 3- Ring of Kerry. Overnight near Killarney.

Day 4- Head to Bunratty, visit Castle and folk park. Overnight in Doolin area.

Day 5- Driving day, Doolin to Newgrange (if this isn't doable, Doolin to Athlone or Mullingar?).

Day 6- Visit Newgrange. Head to Dublin for overnight.

Day 7- Dublin

Day 8- Airport

All the "overnights" are based on maps we have on hand, if there are other places in same area that would make nicer stops please let us know. We're staying in B&Bs and aren't looking for city nights, a nice local pub would be ideal
Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Old Mar 10th, 2008, 08:51 PM

Hello!
This is better as it's slower.

I prefer Kenmare to Killarney but love the area in general. We drove part of the Ring of Kerry in April one year and especially liked a small home/museum called Denane (sp?) Lovely. There is a ruined abbey you can walk to from there at low tide. Anyway, back to your itinerary.

I would skip Newgrange or that area on this trip so you can focus on enjoying the SW/West. If you skipped the Newgrange/Athlone piece you'd have time to spend a night in Dingle then one night in Doolin which you can reach via the ferry. I've been to Newgrange and liked it, but it's not really a lovely area or anything and as a sight it was not as memorable as, say, a fun pub with great music and a pint or so of Guinness

Those are my brief thoughts!
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Rosetravels, we'll keep an eye out for Denane and the ruined abbey you mention
I'm not sure what to do about Newgrange, that was one of the two "must-sees" we started with (the other being Blarney). We might omit, but if we do decide to keep it in, perhaps there's a simpler or shorter route than what I've mentioned? There isn't any particular place between Bunratty and Newgrange we'd like to see, although I'm sure it's all lovely countryside.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 10:31 AM

I think rosetravels had Derrynane in mind. It was the home of Daniel O'Connell, an important politician of the first half of the 19th century. Personally, I think the house is not a great visit -- particularly not if you don't have a great interest in O'Connell.

Don't drop Newgrange. It's not that far from Dublin, so it's not a major detour. Be warned, however, that you might not get into the tumulus. Knowth, in the same complex, is also worth a visit.

You can make it from Doolin to Newgrange easily enough, and build in a visit to Clonmacnoice, a good monastic site near Athlone.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 11:40 AM

Don't cut out Newgrange if you have it as one of your must-see places. The site and the history are fascinating. Have you read "Ireland" by Frank Delaney? It is a wonderful fictional book about the history of Ireland's storytellers, and the beginning includes a tale of the building of Newgrange. Good reading in advance of or during your trip.

While you're in the Killarney area, try making time for Muckross house and the grounds. Not sure when you're traveling to Ireland, but the area was gorgeous when we visited in late May.

Happy travels!
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 01:12 PM

A choice between Newgrange and Blarney as a "must see"? No question - the winner is Newgrange by a mile!
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'm glad that we seem to have pared down enough to make our trip doable.

I'll have to look up Derrynane, Muckrock House, and Clanmacnoice, we'd like to have a list of "extras" to stop and see as time permits.

I imagine we'll see both Knowth and Newgrange, unless we're really short on time. In the meantime, I'll have to check out Frank Delaney's book- I love to read and it sounds right up my alley
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 08:37 PM

Oh yes, Derrynane. If you're on the Ring of Kerry it's a nice stop. I'm married to an Irish American, what can I say? He loves that sort of stuff.

If your choice is Blarney or Newgrange that's easy: Newgrange. Get there early to get tickets.
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 04:45 PM

Hi GuysNS,

Not sure who is in your party but I have to say... the first time we went to Ireland we had our two boys with us, ages 16 and 13. We took them to Blarney Castle, and they loved it. It might be touristy, but Blarney was so associated with their ideas of Ireland that we couldn't have left it out.

My husband & I went to Newgrange on our last trip, and while we enjoyed it, I don't think the boys would have had the same experience as they had at Blarney.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 02:25 PM

If you are satying in Cashel, go to Cahir Castle instead of Blarney Castle. Much more interesting, much less crowded and in very good shape. Blarney is not well restored. If you are ther at the wrong time of year, the wait at Blarney can be hideous. Cahir Castle is about a 10-15 minute drive from Cashel and easy to get to.

Bill
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 07:58 AM

Newgrange is wonderful. I don't know if you've figured out lodgings but you will almost pass the Dublin airport on your way from Newgrange into Dublin. So, you may want to drop your rental car off at the airport and then take the bus or a taxi into the city, so you don't have to drive in Dublin.

Also, I highly recommend waking up early in the morning to get to Newgrange --- we got there by 9:30 and didn't have to wait for any tours. We were done with Knowth and Newgrange by around 12:30-1:00.