Search

Ireland B&B / Itinerary Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland B&B / Itinerary Question

Hello all!

DH and I had planned a fabulous trip to Thailand for our anniversary but found out a few days ago that the airline had completely canceled our route causing us to have to cancel the whole trip since all other air tickets were 3X the amount we originally paid!

We have since been going crazy trying to figure out a new trip for October! I found a decent deal on tickets to Ireland.....so away we go!! Seeing that I have less than 2 months to plan I am going to need plenty of help! We will have 11 nights total and here is our "rough" itinerary:

3 nights Dublin
1 night somewhere in Co. Wicklow
2 nights Killarney
2 nights Doolin
3 nights Cliden

How does this sound? Any ideas where to go for the night in Co. Wicklow (or is there some place I'm missing?). I have been busy reading trip reports on here and we are headed out tomorrow to get some travel books but I trust everyone on these boards much more!

One other question - I have a list of B&Bs that are in our price range and I like the look of....but we are thinking of just making reservations for our first and final night and just kinda playing the trip by ear. I have NEVER done this and it makes me pretty nervous, but I like the idea of just picking up and going if we get bored! Is this a stupid idea in mid October? Don't want to be sleeping in the rent car or paying crazy high prices!!
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 01:24 AM

Ireland is quite different from Thailand!

You do know, I take it, that there is always a possibility of rain in Ireland. It's raining here right now. I hope your trip is in early October, where the weather is a slightly better bet than later in the month.

I think you should book for Dublin. It should not be a problem getting a B&B anywhere else at short notice (like 6.00 p.m. on the day of arrival) unless there is a local event such as a festival or horse racing.

To my taste, the area to stay in Wicklow is Laragh or Glendalough so that you can get into the monastic site before the flood of day visitors. In October, the daily invasion is not too bad, but it is nice to walk in the valley at about 9.00 a.m. and have it almost to yourselves.

I love Connemara, and go there every year. For me, Clifden is worth an hour or two (pub lunch, stretch the legs, some good shops) but I am never tempted to stay there. Give me Roundstone or Oughterard or, for personal reasons, Carraroe. If you want to consider Roundstone, you can get a good deal at http://www.eldons.ie/specialoffers.php .

Of course you are missing some places, but you can't do it all. Your selection is a reasonable sample. Many might suggest that you substitute Kenmare or Dingle for Killarney, and I would agree with that (my choice would be Dingle).

They are my first thoughts, and no doubt you will get plenty of other contributions. Whatever you decide, I suggest that you do not extend your programme. If you are persuaded that something else is worth your while, delete something to make way for it. Don't be tempted into what some people here call "the green blur".
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Original Poster

Yep we are going completely opposite from Thailand! We are going to head to Asia in the spring!

We are ok with rain - crossing our fingers that it won't downpour the ENTIRE trip, but if it does we will still make do and have a great time (dancing in the rain in an open Irish field does sound like fun!).

Thanks for the suggestions! We were thinking of only making reservations for 2 nights in Dublin so we can leave if the city isn't for us (or hopefully extend another night if we love it) and then just hop around B&Bs as we feel!

We don't plan on adding any other places to our agenda - but substituting is fine! We want to see the "typical" tourist sites but we are REALLY interested in seeing gorgeous scenery and hanging out with locals at a pub and enjoying a great evening! Those times are what has made all our trips the most memorable! Any suggestions would be great! I am going to be burying my head in travel books for the next week!
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 06:24 AM

Glendalough is a wonderful place, especially if you can get there very early or late, to avoid most of the tourist hordes (though they lighten up a bit by October). Powerscourt gardens is also on the way from Dublin. Another option might be staying in Kilkeny, a nice medieval city with lots of sites nearby, like Rock of Cashel, Cahir Castle, Kells Abbey, Jerpoint Abbey, etc.

Rather than staying in Killarney (which is a very touristy town, though not bad for all that) you might want to check out a nearby village, or something farther into the Ring of Kerry. The Ring is beautiful (though the Ring of Beara is as well, and less crowded), as is Gap of Dunloe, Killarney National Park. Check out Strawberry Fields, a crepe and tea restaurant in Killarney National Park, near the southern end of the Ring.

Doolin will be delightful, and Dingle is simply breathtaking. The Gallerus Oratory, Blasket Island Centre, and the coastline all along are not-misses.

As you go north, see if you can stop by at the Cliffs of Moher or the Burren, but past that I'm out of my area of expertise (such as it is).

I have a trip report on my webpage of many of those places, with photos:

http://www.greendragonartist.com/BI/...eports2006.htm
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 06:40 AM

If you do stay in Clifden, I 'd recommend The Quay House. It was one of the best places we stayed in Ireland.

www.thequayhouse.com