Restaurants near Theatreland in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will soon be travelling to London to catch a show and some shopping and would welcome some advice on places to eat near Theatreland. We are staying in the Strand Palace Hotel which I've heard some mixed reviews about. Would people recommend the restaurants in the Strand Palace or has anyone any ideas for some nice places to eat pre/post theatre?

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 06:10 AM

We stayed at the Strand Palace and can highly recommend a great Italian restaurant a short distance away--Luigi's of Covent Garden. The hotel was fine, by the way.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 06:32 AM

"theaterland" covers a large area of London. Soho, Covent Garden, and other areas all have theatres. Your hotel is right at the edge of Covent Garden and there are probably 250 or more restaurants w/i walking distance.

So before anyone can give you useful info - what sort of food do you enjoy and what sort of budget.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 06:44 AM

At the top of the list (price, quality, and atmosphere) is Rule's, the oldest restauarant in London. I'm not sure if they still do a pre theatre deal, which was always a great value considering the place.

Big and trendy places on The Strand include Bank and Indigo.

Just up the street from you is a fun and colorful place on a corner called Salieri, good pre and after theatre prices.

You are close to a Wagamamma, the very popular and inexpensive noodle places where you sit at communal tables.

Joe Allen, the famous NYC Broadway restaurant has an outpost just a block or so from you on Exeter Sreet. And there is an Orso around the corner from there.

And yes, there are literally hundreds of restaurants within a short walk of where you'll be.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of that. Janis, we are open to any type of food from Italien to Chinese, French to plain old English. With regard to our budget, we don't wnt anything too pricey, converting our euro to sterling will cost us enough already. Something around €25/€30each?
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 05:23 AM

If the weather is nice then try to get an outside table on the terrace of Chez Gerard in Covent Garden, overlooking the Opera House. It's above the main market building and is quite reasonable.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 05:33 AM

About 7 years ago we enjoyed a Brasserie near Covent Garden. I can't remember the name, but the French Food was perfect for after theater. In fact we went back twice. I have thought about it many times, and if anyone can tell me the name, I would be grateful. I'm not sure this is possible, as there may be many brasseries in the area. But, thought I would try. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 06:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We usually do Chinese since there are so many good places near the theatres. Have been to Joy King Lau many times for a pre-show dinner. Cantonese cuisine, also great for dim sum. 3 Leicester Street. Back up choice is New World at 1 Gerrard Street. Also enjoy dim sum there.

I've not been before the theatre but I'll second the motion for Chez Gerard in Covent Garden.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 06:41 AM
aj

We enjoyed La Ballerina Restauant, 7/8 Bow Street, Covent Garden. It is just not the walk from our hotel and will eat there again this May. Prices are reasonable also. Check our www.coventgardenlife.com for all things in the area. Enjoy!
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 07:09 AM

As others have said, there are literally hundreds of restaurants nearby, just look at some menus and choose somthing that suits.

When I'm away, I very very rarely go out of my way to dine at a specific restaurant - if I happen to stumble upon a recommendation then all well and good, otherwise I make my mind up on the spot.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 07:18 AM

tamjam, I love a good challenge and since we've rented a flat in the heart of Covent Garden for 9 years, there's a good chance I'd know the place you mean, but unless you can offer a few details including atmosphere, decor, or what it is near or facing, I'm afraid right now I can't narrow it down to less than about 25 places.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 08:09 AM

Patrick - thank you.
I'm remembering blue doors and windows. Possibly having dining in two separate rooms, from the outside it could look like two separate restaurants. That's about all I can remember. Appreciate your help.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 08:23 AM
tod

I have enjoyed a pre or post theatre dinner at Wolfe's Bar & Grill, 30 Great Queen Street. They ahve a set menu with a choice of starters and mains, or Main & Pud or all three! About twelve pounds sterling ( my keyboard does not have a "pound" key).
Dinner is served in elavated booths with plush velvet-type chairs or sofa.
Candles are lit and we found the waitress so polite and obliging (offering to take a photo etc.)
Have wandered further up the road after dinner and had a lovely espresso at a little Italian place sitting al Fresco.