London Restaurant-Pre-theater

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in London for 2 nights in November. We have tickets for Chicago (at the Adelphi, Charing Cross station) and See you Next Tuesday (Albery, Leicester Square station). Have looked at several websites for restaurants in these areas, but I am having trouble finding a recommendation close to the theaters. Does anyone have a recommendation for under $30 each? Thanks for your help--
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 02:14 PM

I seldom book ahead for pre-theatre meals unless it is for the Loch Fyne or other special places. Both theatres are on the edge of Covent Garden where there are more pubs and restaurants than you could imagine. Not only in Covent Garden itself but also in all the side streets. Everything from casual outdoor cafes in in the covered market to as upscale as there is. You won't have any trouble finding a place to eat.

And the Albery is walking distance to all the MANY restraurants in Chinatown and Soho.

If you pick up a copy of ZagatSurvey's London guide - it lists complete descriptions of more than 200 restaurants for pre-theatre dining. This pocket sized guide is available at Borders, Barnes & Noble etc and is REALLY helpful. It includes reviews, prices, decor, etc. It is really the "bible" for eating in London.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. We were in London last year and I did take Zagat's guide. In attempting to find one of the recommended Zagat restaurants a helpful stranger on the street familiar with the restaurant said it was much too expensive for what you got, then directed us to a small place, with excellent food and great prices - it was the best meal we had in London! So I would like to get to a recommendation from someone who has eaten in the area and really enjoyed their meal. We saw tons of restaurants in Soho and Covent Gardens, but which one to choose?? Anyone with a personal recommendation?
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 06:01 AM

I can recommend two restaurants that are close to the Albery.

The Cork & Bottle Wine Bar is very close to the theatre, at 44-46 Cranbourn Street. The entrance is easy to miss, as it's just a narrow doorway: the restaurant is below street level, down a winding staircase. The review at http://www.quaffers.co.uk/winepress/...CorkandBottle/ gives a pretty accurate description of what the place is like.

Mon Plaisir, an old-fashioned French bistro, is about a 5-minute walk from the theatre, at 21 Monmouth Street. If you go before the theatre, they offer a very good value fixed price menu (2 courses for 13.95 pounds, or 3 courses for 15.95 pounds, including a glass of wine). For details, see their website at http://www.monplaisir.co.uk/

I'm less familiar with the area around the Adelphi, so I can't suggest anything in that area.

I'll be in London in November, too -- maybe we'll cross paths at the Cork & Bottle or Mon Plaisir!
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 06:08 AM

Donna,
As you know there are tons of good restaurants in the area, but here are three I can recommend;
Mon Paisir on Monmouth,
Le Palais du Jardin on Long Acre,
and Mela (indian) on Shaftesbury.
Each probably has a web site or look for details and online reviews by doing a google search. Enjoy!!
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 06:16 AM

Have you tried Le Cafe du Jardin on Wellington Street?
It's one of my favorite Covent Garden places for lunch or dinner. I like their risotto.
They also offer a prix fixe pre theater option .
The restaurant is on two floors. In the evenings there is live piano music in the 'sub' level.

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good suggestions. They look great. I am sure we will enjoy our dinner and the theater in equal measure
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 11:31 AM

Wagamama.com

Trendy Asian noodle place. It's cool.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 11:46 AM

It all depends on what kind of meal you feel like having - there are so many wonderful restaurants in those areas.

I must admit I'm not a big fan of Wagamama. The long cafeteria style tables put me off and I don't find the food that great.

Although it also has some long cafeteria style tables, Belgo in Covent Garden (55 Earlham Street) has much better food - especially if you like mussels and Belgian beer.

I also quite like Wok Wok, which has an asian flair, in Soho (unfortunately I can't remember the street - I think it's just off Old Compton). Their thai green chicken curry is fabulous.

La Tasca (23-24 Maiden Lane) has some wonderful spanish tapas and a nice environment.

All of these are fairly inexpensive and within walking distance to the theatres.

Have fun!
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 12:37 PM

I second the recommendations of mon plasir and wok wok. i go to those places solo and feel quite comfortable. service and food are great, espec for the money which in london doesnt go far. enjoy