Search

Turkey, off-the-beaten path, budge travel, non-touristy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turkey, off-the-beaten path, budge travel, non-touristy

Hello!

I am only now beginning to plan a trip to Turkey early July. I have a lonely planet and saw a program on Pilot Guides regarding Turkey. That's really all I've done so far.

I'm looking for resources, ideas, and tips on planning this trip. Here is what I'm interested in when I travel:

-as my title mentions......I am looking for off-the-beaten path places that are not spoiled by tourism, places where I can be around the locals.

-traditional small villages with cobbled streets, good food, lovely scenery, nice walks

-I don't care for tours, prefer to use public transport, buses, etc

-very interested in outdoorsy types of things such as hiking, long walks.

-love drives/rides with really good scenery while traveling from on city to the other

I know this is a general, vague email, however, I'm just in the beginning stages of planning this trip.

Thanks,

gtrekker2003
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 02:19 PM

The stretch between Galipoli-Dardanelles and Izmir may be an interest. Good views and lots of history both ancient and modern. The towns around there are living provincial Turkish towns. They are less spoilt. Some of them popular with the Turkish and/or Greek tourists. You could use the bus network and stay in B&Bs etc.

Another area would be Black Sea region. I know that it has beautiful scenery and hardly touched by mass tourism. But I haven't travelled to that region before, so it is difficult to say much.

Good Luck with your plans.

Old Apr 10th, 2005, 02:46 PM

Cappadocia is one of the places you should be visiting and drive to south via Tourus Mountains if not to north.
Happy Travelling,

Murat
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 08:27 AM

I had a great time in Turkey over the summer and could offer a lot of tips. Turkey is still a very good country for budget travelling, using public transit/buses, and doing the kind of activities that you seem to like.

Since you are just getting started, I'll add one tip you could add to your list. It is a fairly less-travelled, but well worth it stop.

If you really like a nice day hike, check out the Ihlara valley. It is on the edge of Cappadocia. Most visitors pass through on a bus tour and only see a bit of it.

It is a rustic trail along the Ihlara river - not too long if I remember correctly, perhaps 15KM. Along the trail in the cliffs are many ancient cave dwellings, rock cathedrals and monastaries that you can view as you please. We did the trail in August and we hardly say a soul except for this 1km stretch where tour buses drop off for a quick looksie. Otherwise, it is off the beaten path. It is difficult, but not impossible, to reach with buses, and there are a couple pensions in the nearby villages, who are clearly not accustomed to foreign visitors. It is a sublime walk - great for picnics and taking great pictures. Might make for a nice stop off between Pammukale and the rest of Kapadokya.

Don't be too worried about touristy stuff. We have very similar interests and found most places we visited to be quite nice. The most touristy we came across were some of the big Med. cities (Antalya comes to mind) and Selcuk.

If you ever get more specific questions, feel free to post again...
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 08:30 AM

Oops! Selcuk was very pleasant and doable. It was Kusadasi that I wanted to single out as (IMHO) too touristy...