Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Restaurants in Oia? Recs for La Perla Villas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2003, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First trip to Santorini in late July. We will be staying at La Perla Villas in Oia for 4 nights, and are looking for some good restaurant recommendations. I'm sure we'll travel to Fira at least one day to check it out, but will probably want to be back in Oia for the sunset. Can anyone suggest a couple of "don't miss" restaurants in Oia?
Also--while it is too late to change our booking, I am curious about prior experiences at La Perla Villas--we were THAT CLOSE to picking Volcano View, but decided we wanted to be in a town. Has anyone stayed at La Perla? If I'm going to be disappointed, don't tell me!
Thanks.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 07:02 AM

Katrinas at Ammoudi !
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 10:37 AM

My vote is also for Katina's at Ammoudi
Beach in Oia. A relaxing taverna with wonderful mussels with a mustard sauce and freshly caught octopus prepared on the grill. The walk down (and up) the cliffside steps is delightful. I haven't stayed at La Perla Villas ... but I do recommend the Fanari Villas for another time.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 12:06 PM
donnabee

At very bottom of the town (bottom of cliff), there is a small fishing village with a row of outside cafes. You must go there.

Old Jun 10th, 2003, 12:07 PM

Ambrosia! Call ahead to sit outside on the upstairs balcony. SO romantic and excellent food. Was one of our favorite dinners. We just got back last night and I am so missing it already.

Didn't care for Volcano View if you're talking about the one near Fira. No service whatsoever. Impossible to get a lounge by the pools. We met a couple at Naxos that stayed at La Perla and said they really enjoyed it. That's all I know. Oia doesn't have much of any nightlife so if you want any of that Fira is the place to be. We only say one sunset in Oia and it was a bit cloudy that night so didnt get the full effect...we climbed out to the big rock at the end and sat on top with a few beers and chips we got from the local market....was perfect.

You'll have a wonderful time! Rent a car for a day (35E) and you can see everything else around the island....the black and red beaches are great to see.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 10:26 AM

We stayed at La Perla earlier this month, and it was magical. Would have loved to stay longer. The pool is beautiful, and we had a "cliffhouse" unit that was unique to anywhere we'd stayed before. We had the same reservations you're experiencing because you don't see much about the place. Don't worry. You'll love it.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 03:52 PM

Oia Cafe was really great. Love the pureed fava bean appetizer. It was delicious.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 11:24 AM

One of our best meals in Greece was at Skala in Oia. Get a table at the edge of the terrace so you can have the best view.

If you do venture down to the fish tavernas at Amoudi port, don't order the fish. It is really expensive and has tons of bones. And we were still hungry after we ate. Stick with octopus or mussels or some other Greek specialty. Be prepared to walk back up the steps, as there were no donkeys or taxis when we were ready to leave.

We stayed at La Perla and it is lovely.