Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help! Oia Mare Villas or Volcano View Villas???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there everyone!
We are planning a trip to Europe for the month of May and our last stop will be 11 days in Greece. Fantasy travel has put together an itinerary for us along with suggested hotels.
Fantasy Travel has suggested Volcano View Villas (it looks like they use this property often from reading other posts), but would anyone suggest Oia Mare Villas over this hotel? We are a group of 4 women in our early to late twenties. The views from both hotels look wonderful and I understand that Volcano View is about 20 minutes from town. I'm just conflicted as to which property would be the better place to stay. We most likely will have to rent a car to see the whole island so that's not an issue.
Does anyone have a preference? Pros and cons to each property? Or is this the kind of deal where both hotels are about equal and just go with the one that offers the better price?

Thanks in advance!

Liza
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 09:16 AM

Liza,

I think between the two Oia Mare is better located and a bit more dramatic in terms of view.

We stayed at Katikies Suites ( now known as Krini suites) and loved it, but it is pricey.

From what I understand the staff at both VV and OM are great. you will love Santorini.

Rather than renting a car, if you are up for the thrill why not scooter around Santorini.

Or you know the bus system is fairly good too. The island is not enormous and you can cab it back and forth between Oia and Fira for cheap too.

Need restaurant suggestions? If so, don't miss Ambrosia in Oia and for a fancier but worth it meal , try Selene in Fira. Do you all like to cook? Selene offers a day cooking program for about 100E pp.

But go to Santorini just to soak up island life and enjoy the views. May is an excellent time to go. ( nights may be a bit chilly, but nothing dramatic)
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it!
So you think the views at Oia Mare are definitely better than VV? Oia Mare certainly has better reviews on TripAdvisor than VV.
I was led to believe that if we stayed at VV, a rental car would be almost necessary, but maybe that's not the case. I'll have to re-think it. Thanks!
Anyone else with thoughts or opinions as to the two hotels?
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 01:42 PM

Just to be clear, are you talking about Volcano View Villas outside of Fira or Volcano's Villas in Oia? They are two distinctively different properties in two very dissimilar surroundings. VVV is about 2 miles from Fira and definitely requires a car for maximum convenience. VV is just on the outskirts of Oia (a much smaller village) and is a pleasant walk into the heart of the village, but know that Oia is on the northern tip of the island and to get anywhere else you'll need to use the public bus, taxi or a rental car/scooter. Busses stop running at about 9:30 p.m. in May

As for the difference in views, Oia Mare (also in Oia, not Fira) has a sunset view but not a very good caldera view as it's situated in a deep ravine that mostly blocks the caldera. VVV has an unobstructed view of the caldera, as does VV. In May Oia Mare's sunset view will not be all that great because of the sun's position in the sky in relation to the hotel's location and the direction it faces. From both VVV and VV you will also be able to watch the sunset, with either Fira and the caldera or Oia and the caldera in the foreground. Truthfully, I think either of these is preferable to Oia Mare.

As to the issue of disco/bar/club nightlife, if it's something you want to include in your activities you might want to consider the VVV over Oia Mare so you will be closer to the "action," as there is virtually none of that in Oia.

I hope this helps.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 02:31 PM

Upon further reflection and after looking at a map, I think that Oia Mare's sunset view in May will be just about as good as it gets. I misspoke before about this, and I now realize my error.
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Volcano View Villas near Fira is the hotel that Fantasy travel is suggesting. After reading your post about Oia, I'm leaning towards the Volcano View Villas. Our group will be looking for major relaxation at this point in the trip as it will be at the very end of a 30 day trip through Central Europe, yet I know that we'll also want to go out at night.
So far it looks like one day in Athens, then three in Mykonos, two in Naxos and then ending up with three in Santorini. We will fly from Santorini to Athens to catch our flight home.
Would anyone suggest tweaking this a bit? Staying the entire time on one island is not an option as everyone in our group agrees that we'd like to see a few islands. We're also avoiding Crete until we have a good chunk of time to devote just to it.
Also, Fantasy travel is suggesting the Adonis hotel in Mykonos and Naxos Royal on Naxos. Are these decent places, close to or on the beach, with pools?
Thanks so much everyone! This board has been invaluable for planning several trips to Europe. You're all wonderful!

Liza
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 01:26 PM

We used Fantasy Travel several years ago and thought VVV to be a fine place to stay. I cannot imagine a more beautiful sight than walking out onto your private terrace and having the caldera view in front of you. VVV provides shuttle service (every hr. during day, perhaps?) to Fira and back. I don't think it was as long as 20 min. into town.

Fantasy was using Pricess of Mykonos in those days, and it was lovely. I don't know anything about the Adonis.

We were pleased with Fantasy Travel and would use them again.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 10:57 AM

We are also planning a trip to Greece in June 2006. I've spoken to Fantasy Travel online. Is this a reputable company to use or would any of you guys recommend another agency?

Thanks so much!
Colette
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 12:29 PM

Although I've never had occassion to use them, I know for sure that Fantasy Travel's reputation is excellent. You can rest easy if you use them.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 12:36 PM

Fantasy Travel is excellent, we used them to plan our wedding and honeymoon two years ago. Top-notch - I highly recommend them.