Restaurants in Aix-en-Provence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently posted a request for restaurant suggestions for an up-coming stay in Nice, and so many of you were helpful that now I'm coming back for more...I'll be moving on to Aix-en-Provence, and do you have more suggestions for there? Again, not the break-the-bank-but-wonderful ones, but the more reasonable but also- wonderful-ones. Loving French food as I do, I know that's doable and hope you can help. I don't just travel on my stomach, but in France, how can I help it???
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The only good restaurant I know is Clos de Violette but, it is not inexpensive. otherwise we go to the deux café.
others of note are L'Hacienda, chez Gu et Fils(whoe prices went up after being mentioned in Peter May;es, A Year in Provence.
I read that alot of townies go to Relais STe Victoire in Beaurecuil.
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:05 PM

Ann Marilyn and Ciugalechanta:

The mere mention of Chez Gu brings up a good resto memory. We,too, followed the "Peter Mayle trail" in Provence one time...it was winter, and we warmed up for lunch at Gu...the owner served as maitre 'd dressed in chef's whites...had a handlebar moustache that was a winnner..and the food choices were excellent. I don't remember it as being very expensive...this was in the winter of '94, and it was snowing!
We were staying at The Four Dolphins in 4 Dolphin Square...(Qatre Dauphin).

Also sampled two other Mayle suggestions...in remote Boux (near Bonnieux)"Auberge du Loube" with it's famous Maurice, owner and chef..great place for lunch. He presented us with no-charge desserts because we mentioned Peter. The other was
"La Bistro du Paradou" in the village of Paradou, near Fontvielle and Les Baux. It was a cozy,wonderful "local" place for good food, people watching and chatting....however, we returned two years ago and it has become an upscale ($50 per person for lunch) and the aforementioned ambience seems to have gone south...we opted for "La Reine Jean" in Les Baux.

Also, there are several decent choices along Cours Mirabeau, Les Deux Garcon, and Le Cafe du Cours.

Ann, you did not mention that you will have a car, hence I tossed in the other-than-Aix suggestions in case you decide to rent one.

stu
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 03:13 AM

In Aix, just up the hill from the
Quatre Dauphins on Rue Cardinal is (well, was two years ago) a young couple was running a small restaurant called Les Tournesols. Very casual, good food, low prices, lots of neighbors dropping in for dinner. They were suffering from a majoy construction project next door. I hope they made it. Check them out.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 05:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
But Stu, that includes all the wine you want, so I consider it ok.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 06:22 AM

Mim:

Sorry I typo'ed your name above....yes, I suppose with unlimited vin the price is relatively unimportant...that is, if you can even read the bill.

Hope things are smoothing out for my favorite New Englander!

I regret not snapping Gu's pic..classic!

stu t.