Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Provence - Le Phebus or Oustau de Baumiere?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have a comparison of these 2 places? Quality of rooms, pool, location, "authenticness", food, service, general luxury, etc. If you can't compare, how is the food at Le Phebus?
Thanks!
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:30 PM

Our friends who stayed at Le Phébus found the hotel somewhat wanting in comparison to other places they had stayed, but they loved the Oustau de Beaumanière. The latter has been well known for its food for many years, witih good reason: it's superb. The setting of both the hotel and restaurant is lovely, the service is first rate. We ate at the restaurant one time and have never forgotten the food, especially the lamb and rouget with red-wine sauce.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:38 PM
padbrasher

I cannot comment on Le Phebus, however I loved Oustau de Baumiere. We were there in 2000, with our young sons. The restaurant is incredible, although admittedly we dedicated only one evening for dinner. Oustau is situated immediately adjacent to Le Baux and we loved the "mas" building that our rooms were located in. Late afternoon cocktails poolside after a long day of touring Provence... beautiful setting, unique topography, excellent food and service...what's not to like?

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Here's another Oustau fan checking in.
The terrace near the pool, mountains above, cuisene, superb, it's heaven.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:58 PM
sandi

Another vote for Oustau. However, if not staying here, but rather for dinner, I would suggest you find the place during daylight hours. It's a horror finding the restaurant in the dark.

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
It's really not bad in the dark if you know the road is the only one at the foot of Les Baux that goes down. But STK, to be fair, I have never been to Phebus so my comments are not a negative, I visited the site. To me, likeable and less formal which I like.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:26 PM

Another one to look at is La Cabro D'Or, which is sort of a sister hotel and restaurant to the Oustau de Baumanière (but a little less expensive and a little more casual).

It's owned by the same people and is just down the road. We stayed there a few years ago and really liked it.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 06:33 PM

Le Cabro d'Or is another very nice place to stay. The chef-owner of the Oustau de Beaumanière supervises the restaurant, which guarantees high quality, and the hotel rooms are attractive and comfortable. The pool is great, and getting to the hotel is easy because it's down at the foot of Les Baux.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:19 PM

I have stayed at Oustau de Baumaniere. It was lovely, in every way. We had a very large room and huge bath plus a sitting room. The restaurant was excellent. They have a fine gift shop. I love the particular area.

I am not familiar with the other one.
Enjoy.......
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I think the Oustau fans win! Your comments confirmed my thoughts.