Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Provence - Le Phebus or Oustau de Baumiere? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/provence-le-phebus-or-oustau-de-baumiere-438301/)

STK96 Jun 2nd, 2004 03:23 PM

Provence - Le Phebus or Oustau de Baumiere?

Does anyone have a comparison of these 2 places? Quality of rooms, pool, location, "authenticness", food, service, general luxury, etc. If you can't compare, how is the food at Le Phebus?
Thanks!

Underhill Jun 2nd, 2004 03:30 PM

Our friends who stayed at Le Phébus found the hotel somewhat wanting in comparison to other places they had stayed, but they loved the Oustau de Beaumanière. The latter has been well known for its food for many years, witih good reason: it's superb. The setting of both the hotel and restaurant is lovely, the service is first rate. We ate at the restaurant one time and have never forgotten the food, especially the lamb and rouget with red-wine sauce.

padbrasher Jun 2nd, 2004 03:38 PM

I cannot comment on Le Phebus, however I loved Oustau de Baumiere. We were there in 2000, with our young sons. The restaurant is incredible, although admittedly we dedicated only one evening for dinner. Oustau is situated immediately adjacent to Le Baux and we loved the "mas" building that our rooms were located in. Late afternoon cocktails poolside after a long day of touring Provence... beautiful setting, unique topography, excellent food and service...what's not to like?

cigalechanta Jun 2nd, 2004 04:54 PM

Here's another Oustau fan checking in.
The terrace near the pool, mountains above, cuisene, superb, it's heaven.

sandi Jun 2nd, 2004 04:58 PM

Another vote for Oustau. However, if not staying here, but rather for dinner, I would suggest you find the place during daylight hours. It's a horror finding the restaurant in the dark.

cigalechanta Jun 2nd, 2004 05:06 PM

It's really not bad in the dark if you know the road is the only one at the foot of Les Baux that goes down. But STK, to be fair, I have never been to Phebus so my comments are not a negative, I visited the site. To me, likeable and less formal which I like.

marcy_ Jun 2nd, 2004 05:26 PM

Another one to look at is La Cabro D'Or, which is sort of a sister hotel and restaurant to the Oustau de Baumanière (but a little less expensive and a little more casual).

It's owned by the same people and is just down the road. We stayed there a few years ago and really liked it.

Underhill Jun 2nd, 2004 06:33 PM

Le Cabro d'Or is another very nice place to stay. The chef-owner of the Oustau de Beaumanière supervises the restaurant, which guarantees high quality, and the hotel rooms are attractive and comfortable. The pool is great, and getting to the hotel is easy because it's down at the foot of Les Baux.

gracejoan Jun 2nd, 2004 10:19 PM

I have stayed at Oustau de Baumaniere. It was lovely, in every way. We had a very large room and huge bath plus a sitting room. The restaurant was excellent. They have a fine gift shop. I love the particular area.

I am not familiar with the other one.
Enjoy.......

STK96 Jun 3rd, 2004 06:11 AM

Thanks everyone. I think the Oustau fans win! Your comments confirmed my thoughts.