Day tours from Lugano?

Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Day tours from Lugano?

Hi,

I'll be going to Lugano for a conference in a couple of weeks, and was wondering if there are any well-known good group day-tours that I could take from Lugano into the Swiss Alps? None of the pictures I've seen of Lugano make it look like it's in the Alps, and I'd really like to see the Alps while I'm in Switzerland.

Thanks!!
Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:13 PM

There are several scenic train rides that would give you a good view of the Alps. Do you want to just see them or would you like to get out and hike in them?
Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Primarily, I want to be able to see them and take pictures. I don't think I'd have time to hike anything more than a 1 or 2 mile thing, so probably some train or similar ride that has great views with periodic stops and viewpoints would be good.

In looking online, I found a train ride that sounds like fun, but I don't know that I can get there from Lugano and have the train ride and back to Lugano doable in one day. That's riding the Schynige Platte Railway.
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:45 PM

I'm not certain about bus tours, but if you can find one you'll want to see Valle Verzasca. It's a beautiful, isolated valley just west of Belinzona (north of Lugano). There is a road that heads up the valley to the little village of Sorogno. It is a remarkable area. The buildings are all made of stone. Even the roofs. Flowers in every window. A beautiful waterfall nearby, with towering mountains all around. A real taste of old Ticino. When I brought my family to see it, they were stunned.

The other nice trip that I can think of is visiting Como, Italy. Just across the border to Italy, it's a beautiful town on Lake Como. Lots of charm.

If you have to choose between the two, go to Valle Verzasca - you'll absolutely love it.
Jun 3rd, 2004, 07:12 AM

Or if you'd like to stick to the train, you can see beautiful mountains by traveling from Lugano to Fluelen (2 hours) or to Goschenen (1:30) and back. Actually, I'd make a day of it and take a ten minute busride from Fluelen to Altdorf (a charming William Tell sort of place) as well. Perhaps you could do an image search of these villages to see if the destination might hold interest for you. The rail route does pass through some spectacular (IMO) scenery. J.
Jun 3rd, 2004, 07:41 AM

Or maybe you can train to Fluelen, take a boatride on the beautiful blue-green lake with mountain views, and then return to Lugano. You'll see marked contrasts of architecture. Or go all the way to Lucerne (2:30) and boat from there to Fluelen (http://www.lakelucerne.ch/index.cfm?page=206&lang=E).
To use the William Tell Express boat/train combo back to Lugano, you'll need to catch the early (6:54) train from Lugano to Lucerne, but what a gorgeous day out. J.

Search this Thread