Ideal day trips from St. Moritz

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello - what are the best day trips for driving from St. Moritz during the winter (next couple of weeks) - any suggestions? Thx!
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 09:06 AM

Depends in what you're interested and how long the drive should max. be one way.
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Would like to spend several hours & a nice lunch somewhere - Italy. Couple hours drive is fine there & back
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 11:55 AM

Somewhere at Lake Como would be perfect, I think, although March is still pretty early in the year for the lake and many restaurans/sights/hotels are shut down. For a full day drive from St. Moritz via Maloja pass and Chiavenna to either Varenna (faster) or Menaggio (a bit larger, more variety of restaurants) where you could hop on a boat for a short cruise - maybe just to Bellagio and back.

Don't forget that on the way to Lake Como are quite a number of nice places to stop, take photos and have lunch. Soglio is a picturesque village (take the turn up to Soglio in Promontogno, shortly before you cross the border to Italy) and offers gorgeous views. Chiavenna is another idea for a stop (the old town is a bit run down, but the convent is worth to see and it is picturesque in general).

The other direction into Italy is across the Bernina pass on to Poschiavo and Tirano. I would take the train, though, as the train takes a different route over the pass which is more scenic. I personally think Poschiavo (still in Switzerland) is more beautiful than Tirano (which has a nice pilgrim basilica).

Why only Italy? Müstair valley has an UNESCO heritage site, the monastery, which is famous for the 1200 years old frescos and it also has a nice museum. The drive is quite scenic, too - via Zernez and Ofen pass.

Or check out Guarda, a picturesque village in the lower Engadine, and Ardez, another one of those. And Scuol is beautiful, too, plus has a great spa. Right around the corner is castle Tarasp (guided tours).

I.
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much for your suggestions!