Search

Driving from St.Mortiz to Lake Como

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2014, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving from St.Mortiz to Lake Como

Hi,

We are driving from St. Mortiz to Lake Como in April this year. I understand its not a long drive but we want to take a leisurely 2 days for this drive and looking for recommendations on the most scenic route to take. We plan to leave St. Mortiz mid morning on Saturday the 12th of April and stay in Chiavenna that night at B&B Nonna Costantina. Sunday we need to be in Lake Como by mid afternoon.

Thanks for your advice in advance

Greg
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 01:04 AM

Frankly, I don't think it's a good idea. I have done the excursion from St. Moritz to Lake Como a couple of times as day trips (driving). In April there is not really that much to do (and see) along the way (between skiing and hiking season/winter and summer), so it's not really worth the hassle of checking out/in another hotel or B&B, even if you don't unpack much there. Also, Chiavenna didn't strike me as a town with lots of sights or stunning views. You can easily see the sights there in two hours, add another hour for a stroll through the town and that's it.

If you stay another night in St. Moritz you can easily see more sights in the Engadine in direction of Chiavenna on that day - like Sils (Nietzsche museum) and the beautiful Fex Valley (hike, horse-drawn carriages, Gothic chapel with frescoes), Maloja (Segantini atelier, his grave on the cemetery if you're interested). On the drive to Lake Como drive up and stop for an hour in Soglio, nestling high up on the sunny side of the Bregaglia valley offering gorgeous views, with tiny cobbled alleys and old houses. Then spend some time in Chiavenna, and on to Lake Como where you'll arrive mid afternoon (depending where exactly, however, it's a long lake.)
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 05:49 AM

I agree---bad idea.
If you must,stay in Soglio, but why?
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 08:55 AM

The itinerary between St. Moritz and Chiavenna is quite short, and it is in a narrow and steep valley with a few tiny villages. The valley had his best time around 16th-17th century when Italian language protestants set up in the Swiss section to flee persecutions and the valley became a religious center. Now it has only 1600 residents and IMHO does not deserve too much tourist time.

The most scenic itinerary would be dropping the car in St. Moritz and taking the Bernina railway to Tirano, then railway or car to Sondrio and Chiavenna or Como lake.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 01:00 PM

It's a nice expereince to sleep in the more than 200 years old palace at Soglio, just in front of the glaciers of the Sciora massif.
http://www.palazzosalis.ch/soglio/indexi.html
http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-ch/b...-bregalia.html
But there is no need to leave St. Moritz before late afternoon
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 02:27 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We left Pontresina, near St-Moritz, after breakfast and were easily in Bellagio, including ferry ride across the lake, for lunch, 3 hours give or take.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 03:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am topping this so perhaps those people who have said it is a "bad idea" might be kind enough to give a little rationale.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 04:20 PM

Is it not obvious---too close and not attractive.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 09:00 PM

Did I not?
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 10:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. Is St Mortiz to Chiavenna via a long route through Zernez, Bormeo, Tirano and Dubino (SS27, SS28 and SS301) a reasonable scenic days drive ? Then Chiavenna to Como via Silvaplana and E43 also a reasonable scenic route to pick up small towns etc ?

Thanks
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 02:21 AM

The first one is not doable in April as the Umbrail pass/Stilfser Joch (between Zernez and Bormio) are closed in winter.

As an alternative you could drive the Bernina pass St. Moritz to Tirano, but that road is not overly scenic - the most beautiful parts are along the train route between Ospizio Bernina and Poschiavo.

Personally, I'd rather see more in the Engadine, get out of the car and walk in the nature than just see it passing by, especially along the motorway E43 (with lots of trucks.)
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 05:06 AM

Zernez - Bormio is doable in winter, but instead of the very attracive itinerary via

Pass dal Fuorn - Valchava (Chasa Jaura Museum) Mustair Claustra (Carolingian Monastery) - Glurn (tiny walled city) - Spondinig - Trafoi - Passo Stelvio - Pass'Umbrail - Val Braulio

you have to drive along the rather boring route via
Punt dal Gall - Livigno - Passo d'Eira - Passo di Foscagno.

The short drive via Maloja Pass would be the better choice.
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 01:22 PM

If memory serves me, Punt dal Gall has a rather steep charge for using the tunnel. Also, as the tunnel is single lane there could be long waiting times. The Maloja itinerary looks much more reliable.

Chiavenna to Como, backtracking through Switzerland, looks very strange.