Driving from Garmisch to Lake Como

Old Dec 30th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving from Garmisch to Lake Como

My young son and I are spending May, 08 traveling through Italy, Austria, and Germany. Although we have the majority or our itinerary planned through some very good advice from fellow Fodorites, I need some advice on the best route from Garmisch through to Lake Como. We are driving and have about four or five days to spare so we are looking for the most scenic/interesting route even if this means going through Switzerland.

As far as the overall trip we are arrive in Rome (from Australia) on May 2nd(four nights at the Hotel Sonya) then Florence (2), Milan(1), Cortina d' Ampezzo(1), Lake Hallstatt(3) via the Grossglockner Alpine Road, Salzburg/ Berchtesgaden(3), then the German Alpine Road to Garmisch(4). Garmisch is intended as a staging point for day trips (i.e. train to Milan, etc.). The final leg as stated above is down through to Lake Como and fly home out of Milan's Malpensa Airport on the 28th.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 06:16 AM

There are basically two options:

1) You drive south via Innsbruck over the Brenner to Lake Garda. You may spend a day or two there. See the Lake and some beautiful towns there (Riva, Limone, Sirmione..) and Verona. A daytrip to Venice is possible. From there it is just a short drive to Lake Como.

2) You head westwards to Switzerland. You may see St. Gallen, Zürich, Luzern/Vierwaldstätter See. From there you drive through the Gotthard to Lake Como.

Use www.viamichelin.com for maps. If you zoom in, scenic roads will be indicated by green lines.

In any case, Lake Como is so close to Milano, why do you want to make a day trip from Garmisch to Milano???
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

oops, I meant day trip to Munchen via train to see the museums

Old Dec 30th, 2007, 06:58 AM

The third option is probably the most scenic:

Garmisch - Ehrwald - Fernpass - Landeck - Inn valley up via Scuol to ST. Moritz area. You could spend a couple of days enroute in Scuol and/or Guarda. Or between St. Moritz and Lake Como - Soglio comes to my mind. Or, if you drive the Bernina Pass, then Poschiavo / Le Prese are both excellent choices.

Ingo
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 07:06 AM

I agree with Ingo--I love that drive.