Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Your favorite casual restaurants in Edinburgh?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family is spending a few days in Edinburgh in June, and I'd love to have some restaurant suggestions. We're staying near the St. James Center, but don't let that limit anyone -- we'll go anywhere for a good meal.

I'm looking for recommendations on casual places you could show up to in jeans, with children (does that mean pubs are out?).
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Uh-oh. No replies yet. The Glasgow thread had 10 or 11 replies. Is the food better there?

Are we gong to have to resort to Greggs for three days...?
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 07:00 AM

There are VERY few places you can't turn up in jeans.

Try Vittoria in Leith Walk- and Valvona and Crolla just up the road.

The Hub at the top of the Mile; Brown's in George Street; Hard Rock Cafe in George Street;Mamma's in the Grassmarket; Tex Mex n Thistle Street.

There used to be a place, the name of which escapes me, but the theme was (friendly ) American Gangsters which focussed on kids.

The List says all of these are child friendly

http://www.list.co.uk/places/restaur...ere:edinburgh/
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 12:12 AM

The one I forgot is Fat Sam's but it closed over 10 years ago.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 01:09 AM

David Banns, which is vege, but you wouldn't know, if you see what I mean.... great food, wine and beer. One of my favourite Edinburgh places to eat.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 01:59 AM

Just down from the St James Centre is the Omni Leisure center it has several chain resturants,my mate loves Slug and Lettuce,I think it is pretty crap,but each to their own.In this area are numerous bistros and resturannts of every ethnic origin so you will find loads of places to eat.#
a couple of very good fish &chip places too.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

How nice to return from a long weekend and find your helpful responses!

Thanks so much. I see nobody has mentioned The Elephant House (with ties to JK Rowling).

I appreciate the link to The List, too -- I'd never heard of that before, and it looks very useful.

Thank you all.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 04:07 AM

You will love the story behind my restaurant recommendation!! I always love to recommend Deacon Brodie's in Edinburgh. The first floor is a tavern, the upper floor is a restaurant with very good food and great, friendly service. This restaurant is located on the corner between the Lawnmarket and Bank Street so it is very accesible while doing sightseeing.

This restaurant is actually the former home of Mr. William Brodie, the man who inspired Robert Louis Stevenson' Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Mr. Brodie was a highly respectable cabinet-maker, locksmith, and deacon of the trades guild (hence the prestigious title he used-- Deacon Brodie) as well as a City of Edinburgh councillor. His creations were extremely sought after by the richest families in Edinburgh's society and he had trusted access to the best homes in Edinburgh. His customers included Robert Louis Stevenson's family home for whom he created beautiful furniture and cabinetry woodwork pieces.

Mr. Brodie, however, was a burglar and a thief at night. Partly for the thrill, partly to support a gambling habit, and partly to support two (2) mistresses (with 5 kids between them), Mr. Brodie will make wax copies of the door locks of the wealthy home he worked in during the day and gained access at night. He will then robbed the homes; money, silver, valuables. He got caught while trying to robbed a government office (Internal Revenue!). He did escaped but was captured in Amsterdam while boarding a cargo ship destined to New York.

Brodie was tried and condemned to death. He wa hanged at the Old Tolbooth, which currently houses the historical administrative center of Edinburgh. To add insult to injury Brodie himself had designed and funded the gallows where he met his fate.

Enjoy Edinburgh, a fascinating city.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 05:44 AM

The Elephant House is really just a cafe,a very nice cafe but not the sort of place for an evening meal.
Unless it has changed since I was last in.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 05:57 AM

The food in the Elephant House isn't THAT great and I'm not a great fan as there's no table service.
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 02:43 PM

Have made Chang Thai my local haunt of late - which is pretty cool if hidden down one of the Old Town's Close's - http://www.chang-thai.co.uk