Recommend a restaurant in Aix en Provence, please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2015, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need a nice restaurant for lunch next week that would work for 1vegetarian (eats fish/seafood) and one meat eater. Going to ballet, so in the center of Aix. Have car, can drive. Will be coming in from Apt.

Any cuisine, 25€- 35 € per person.

Thanks.
Old Apr 12th, 2015, 05:38 PM

Debit...once we were in Aix during a beautiful winter trip...when the Peter Mayle books were popular and his "Trayle" included his rest reco's. I think we hit them all. I'm sure the Michelin "snob patrol" will faint with these Mayle suggestions.

In Aix we had a marvelous lunch and a constant chat with the owner chef "Gu"at his namesake resto (certainly no other tourists there at that time)...the lunch was outstanding. If I recall, I had a loaded pasta seafood salad, Roz a delcious deep bowl bouillabaisse. Desserts were sinful. It's on a side street just off the Cours Mirabeau.

Two days later we ventured forth to Boux (Ft. Boux) a very small village near Bonnieux, and Mayle's suggestion was Auberge du Loube and its owner chef, Maurice, for an outstanding complete and delicious lunch. This time we were the only diners and he suggested his "lunch ala chef"...hail to the chef! You can bet it was most reasonable if we ate there. It was at that time less than your suggested prices.

So, Debit and Credit, go to Gu...and if you're in the vicinity, to Auberge du Loube (sounds like an oil change)

We stayed at the Four Dolphins hotel in Four Dolphin Square.
Excellent just two blocks froma large parking garage and the Cours.

Don't neglect the atelier Cezanne with a marvelous view of one of his subjects, Mont Victoire,

Have fun.
Stu
Old Apr 12th, 2015, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Stu.

It isn't for me; we won't be in Provence until October. It's for the folks we house sit for... he's looking for some new ideas. I will pass this along. And then I will check them out for myself!

We've been to Cezanne's atelier -- it is indeed a place that is a must see while in Aix.
Old Apr 12th, 2015, 08:07 PM

We had a fabulous meal at Pierre Reboul about 4 years ago. It's definitely not a "quickie" in & out meal, however. We've dined about 4-5 time at Deux Garcons on the Cours Mirabeau - which is a real treat if you can sit outside and "people watch". We've never dined inside - but on several trips to the WC - it seemed like a really nice interior.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 01:29 AM

Deux Garçons is not for those in a hurry, either.

Lunch is a pretty leisurely affair in Aix except perhaps for the cafes around the markets and courts that are frequented by business people.
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

We actually walked away from Deux Garçons. We sat outside at a table and after 20 minutes of waiting with no even as much as a waiters glance at us, we got up and went elsewhere. It was nice to sit and people watch in those 20 minutes, but it has left a bad "taste in our month" so to speak. This was not in summer either, but late fall. They weren't all that busy either as we were able to sit down without a wait.