Bavaria- 1/2 day on Sunday

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have about half a day in a small Bavarian town (Isny im Allgau) on Sunday. I have a meeting Monday and I am headed back to Dallas on Tuesday. I arrive in Munich at 8:00 and will have a 2 hour car ride to Isny. Seems like I'll be there by 11:00 or noon. Is there anything I can do Sunday afternoon?
Just wondering what sight(s) I might be able to take in while I work to get over any jet lag.
Also any can't/don't miss suggestions for both food and something to bring back to the Mrs.?(must be small as I am considering packing in my briefcase)
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:56 AM

Isny will be pretty dead on a Sunday afternoon - all shops are closed on Sundays Germany-wide. Can you not stay in Munich instead? Or detour to see Neuschwanstein?
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sights:
The abbey at Ettal?
The dirigibles at Meersburg?
The schloss at Weingarten?

Foods:
Leberknodelsuppe
Maultaschensuppe
Schnitzle (wiener, jager)
Wild boar
Reindeer

Gifts:
Diamonds?
Euros?
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Chtiet,

Unfortunatlely, I have an early meeting in Isny on Monday. I am being picked up in Munich, but I am at there mercy.

Tomboy,

Thanks for the recs. Will they have game meats on the menu this time of year?
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Game depends. I've had in late May/early June, also September, not to mention winter months. So I'm inclined to say yes, but....

Years ago I was in one of those conversations with a German friend where, despite our acquaintance, the differing cultures (and perhaps the surroundings) precluded full communication.Specically, I tried to learn how they got venison and wild boar in what-I-considered to be out-of-season. I got the idea that most Germans could not have guns due to a very high license cost, and that "huntsman" was an occupation (year-round), and that the meat was, indeed, wild. Re the reindeer, same thing, except imported from Scandanavia. But that info isn't current.

The two soups I mentioned are unique to the area, and (prepared well) very tasty. Also, if you've never been to Bavaria before, they have a knack for great mixed salads. Oh, then there's the bread. Where do I stop? After the bier.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 05:11 AM
ira

Hi B,

I checked www.bahn.de for buses and trains.

It takes about 1:30 hr to get to Memmingen.

It is 2:00 hr to Lindau, 2:30 to Fuessen.

It takes at least 3 hr to get to anywhere else.

Bring a good book.

Old Jul 4th, 2008, 06:25 AM

I'm no expert on hunting in Germany but as far as I know: Gun licenses aren't expensive - maintaining the hunting ground is. Hunters rent a certain region but have to maintain it and the animals inside (as for example feeding them in winter). Selling the meat is just covering part of the cost. Most people with a hunting license are invited for the hunt.

Some animals as wild boars are hunted more or less year around (their number is going up and they're considered a nuisance in many parts of Germany). Others have a season but I think it starts around now and goes until January or February.