Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Restaurant recommendations in Lyon area please

Notices

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 08:44 AM
rich

Will be in Lyon in Oct. Would appreciate restaurant suggestions you know of in area. We eat anything that,s cooked & if its moving, we kill it & eat it. Looking for mid-priced. lower price (prix fixe etc. would be great. And a somewhat higher priced but really off the wall. Thank you.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Sue

Leon de Lyon and Paul Bocuse's restaurant (the latter a couple mi. outside Lyon) are 2 splurge places that come to mind.
Chez Lea and Cafe des Negociants are way less expensive and centrally located in town center.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 11:00 AM
jahoulih

I had a good meal at Le Merciere in Lyon. The prix fixe menus are listed as 145 Francs, which is about 22 Euros. See

http://www.le-merciere.com/epresent.htm

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Andrea

A small, very delicious family-style restuarant that my husband and I ate at in March has two names. Chez Alex or Chevallier. It was such an excellent French dining experience. Tiny, unpretentious, excellent food and charming owners/chefs. A definite find. Book ahead and enjoy.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 11:27 AM
Sue

I probably was in error when I mentioned Leon de Lyon as a splurge; it's nowhere in same ballpark as Bocuse, cost-wise. Patricia Wells says L de L could well be called a "luxury bistro". Bocuse, long known as one of France's "gastronomic temples", is located in the country outside of Lyon in Collonges-au-Mont-d'Or, a taxi ride from the city. If you like chocolate, Bernachon in Lyon makes some of the world's best in his shop on Cours Franklin-Roosevelt.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 02:12 AM
Chris

And have something at Bernachon's tea room -- October will probably be warm enough for ice cream, or maybe cool enough for hot chocolate (the "real" stuff). It's formal service (real china), but you can dress casually. And it's closed Mondays, if I remember correctly.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 07:31 AM
Gregg

Rich,
I just got back from Lyon. How many nights in Lyon? If only a few nights you have to decide what it is you want. Lyon has bistros known as bouchon, which specialize in cuisine du Lyon. Most bouchons and restaurants have prix fix meals. These are called "le menu". They offer several courses for one price. As the food gets more interesting the price apropriately adjusts. We ate at Chez Lea actually called La Voute, which is considered a bouchon. It is at 11, place Anotonin Gourju tel: 04 78 42 01 33. My impression was favorable, although I felt the place to be somewhat popular with tourists. One place that seems to be what your looking for is Les Adrets at 30, rue du Boeuf tel: 04 78 38 24 30. A wonderful bouchon trying to serve restaurant quality food. Hope this helpful. Bonne chance, Gregg

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 04:12 AM
Chris

A true bouchon has a picture of Guignol (a puppet) and a little plaque that states it is recognized as a true bouchon.

I just thought of a restaurant where you might have some fun -- especially if you're TRULY the "we eat anything" type -- Brasserie Georges. It's the oldest brasserie in Lyon, and has traditional Lyonnaise fare (and that's all I'll say about THAT).

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 10:56 AM
David McCahan

Brasserie George is a huge restaurant which captures lots of tourists. It's located very close to the Lyon-Perrache train station. Do not be put off by the tourists or nay-sayers who might pooh-pooh it without ever having tried it.

My wife and I had a delightful, and inexpensive, meal there. I had a sausage platter, one of their specialities, and it was delicious with different types of meats from the area covered with sauerkraut. My wife had their version of French Onion Soup which featured the cracking of a raw egg into it after it was brought to the table. The egg cooked immediately in the hot soup.

It was a very pleasant experience.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 03:40 PM
arf

I ate at Paul Bocuse and was not at all impressed with the food.
Very commercial. There is a shop downstairs where you can buy every and all things "Paul Bocuse" His picture is on everything.
A bit over the top for my taste.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 09:42 PM
Suz

We had dinner at Paul Bocuse and loved it. The service was exceptional and Monsieur Bocuse himself walked thru the dining room to greet his guests and check how they were enjoying their meal. Don't miss the foie gras!

Restaurant is about 10mins taxi ride from center of town, it is pricey but worth it.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 04:53 AM
Lori

Didn't care much for Paul Bocuse either. Felt the service was lacking for a 3 star, and was quite rushed. Also got the impression he is quite full of himself. Do try Restaurant Anticipation in Lyon, wonderful small place. Food and service were excellent. I forget the address, but it is in the rants and raves section of this forum.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:09 AM
rich

Thank you everyone. Some good ideas & info I,m sure we will use, Gregg we,re staying in Lyon for 5 nights.