Search

FOODIES: Lyon

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FOODIES: Lyon

I have read that Lyon is famous for its food. Anyone have any restaurant suggestions for dining that is under $100/two?
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 03:00 PM

Wren, There are lots of world class restaurants in Lyon, but favorite thing to do is head into the heart of Vieux Lyon and pick an outdoor restaurant with a menu that appeals to me. As the sun goes down and the lights of the neighborhood go on it's like no other place in the world.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Great...sounds like just walking around and looking at the menus and what appeals to us is what you would suggest. Do you have any other suggestions about Lyon for us?
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 03:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Most of the Bichons fit the price.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Qu'est-que c'est un Bichon?
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 03:45 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
&quot;Most of the Bichons fit the price.&quot;<BR><BR>And to think, many posts have told people to stop their Bichon.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Good one!!! Touche'!!
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 04:25 PM

LOL. My fingers have failed me. It's BOUCHON. Originally after the World War I many cooks lost their jobs and set up places for the blue collar workers and today they exist serving the same type of cuisine. This was the beginning of the bistros, typical of Lyon. sausages are always featured. The most famous is &quot;Th bistro de Leon&quot;
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 04:28 PM

Prussian-French war 1870 or so, I forgot. not WW 1.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Are you saying that for $50.00 a person, you can go to a rendition of a &quot;down-home&quot; restaurant? That is the type of food you get for that price? Whoa...I guess we are in for a major reality check.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 06:23 PM

Believe me, your idea of Down-home cooking is not the same as what is served.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 06:54 PM

La Voute, better known as Chez Lea, is an excellent restaurant that is known for its homey Lyonnaise cuisine. Chicken Vinaigre is a specialty, I believe.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 11:46 PM

While I agree that the Vieux Lyon area is pretty and a fun place for dining, here are some more suggestions for great food in Lyon. <BR><BR>My all time favourite, the Caro de Lyon, on rue du Bat d'argent, near the Opera house just off the Rue de la R�publique. They have a 3-course, fixed price menu (26 euros I think) which is excellent value. It features things like lobster ravioli, roasted cod steak with tapenade and basil mash, roasted guinea fowl with mushrooms... <BR>Otherwise, if you order off the main menu, starters are about 10 euros and mains around 15-20. Starters include things like chilled green olive soup with garlic croutons, a foie gras &quot;cappucino&quot; (a cold, whipped soup - sounds vile but I am reliably informed that it's utterly delicious), tuna tartare, salad with pan-fried shrimp...<BR>Of the main courses I can remember, there were roasted red mullet fillets with thyme jus and salsifis, squab &quot;en croute&quot;, roasted rack of lamb, seared swordfish steak with a rhubarb emulsion... I could eat there every day of the week!! The setting is lovely, a bit like a study or living room with antiques bric � brac and books lining the walls. And the restrooms and fumoir are worth visiting too! My only advice would be to book in advance.<BR><BR>Other options you might like to try are the group of restaurants that operate under the &quot;Bistrots des Cuisiniers&quot; label (info here in french: http://www.leondelyon.com/fr/bistrots.htm). It's not really a chain as such, but rather a group of 8 restaurants owned (I believe) by famous French chef Jean-Paul Lacombe, which aim to offer good food at reasonable prices. They include the Bouchon aux Vins, on rue Merci�re (one of the main, pedestrianised &quot;restaurant streets&quot; in Lyon), the Maison Villemanzy on the Mont�e St S�bastian (1st arrondissement), which has a terrace with a fabulous view over the city (but you must book early), Le Petit L�on, and a few others that I can't remember off the top of my head. They all operate on the same principle: 3 courses for 21-22 euros, or a main course and salad for 11. You can order a &quot;pot&quot; (46 cl) of house wine for about 9 euros I think.<BR><BR>You can easily dine well in Lyon for under $100 for two (thank God, as I live in Lyon and we eat out all the time!!!). Just make sure you do lots of walking during the day to work up a real appetite!!
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 03:11 AM

Two places where I would have quenelles -- Le Nord (one of Paul Bocuse's brasseries) and Le Merciere.<BR><BR>hanl, we lived on avenue de Saxe (near cours Roosevelt) for almost 2 years. I loved it, and would go back in a heartbeat. When day-tripping into Paris, we'd wait to get back to Lyon to eat!
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 07:24 AM

Chaton, I totally agree that Lyon's the best - by far my fave city in France (to live in or visit!). And now I know what I want for dinner - quenelles!!
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

So would you save your dining $$$$ (or Euros) for Lyon?
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

topping
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Topping...just in case someone has any more helful ideas...
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 07:18 PM

We had a wonderful meal at Les Adrets, 30 rue de Boeuf. We didn't make a reservation on a Saturday night (bad move) but they put us at a table near the kitchen. Turned out to be fun as there is a big picture window so you can watch all the preparations. What a show! I think our meal ended up around 90 Euro, for three courses, bottled water, a bottle of wine and coffee with dessert. (this was last month) If you want to see pictures, go to www.virtualtourist.com/radiomom and click on my &quot;Lyon&quot; page.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Uhoh...you did a great job posting your trip on VT..truly impressive. BTW, we too are staying with Mdme. Gayte and she has been wonderful with the reservations and replies so far. I wish we weren't going in early July, but we have already vowed to go in off season next time!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -