Restaurant in Rome---which one ???

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want a retaurant for Sat. night, May 30. We are staying near Piazza della Minerve.
I have heard of: Armando al Pantheon, Ambasciata d'Abruzzo.... any others???
Old May 11th, 2009, 02:46 PM

Armando al Pantheon is just steps away; Ambasciata d'Abruzzo is in Parioli, far outside the historic center and a long way away.

For Saturday dinner, it's best to reserve a day or two ahead.
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:37 PM

We actually ate at Armando al Pantheon twice in September~delicious duck with prunes entree and asparagus pasta.

Another favorite restaurant was La Buca di Rippeta.

Enjoy.
Old May 11th, 2009, 05:27 PM

Al Moro...If you are staring directly at the trevi second street left and first right. Amazing!! I had read about it in differant food magazines and it was recommended as one of the best in Rome and to us..it was delightful!
Old May 11th, 2009, 05:47 PM

I've had a lot of good food in Rome and last year, I was blown away by this place:

Ristorante Fiammetta, Piazza Fiammetta, 10. (Pantheon area) Closed Tuesdays.

I was told that the eggplant parmigiana was too good to miss. I never order e.p. but I took the chance and got it at Fiammetta. I can only tell you that it was heavenly.

Not at all fancy, and somewhat inexpensive (for Rome).
Old May 11th, 2009, 05:58 PM

Settimio, Via delle Colonnelle, 14, tel.: 06 678 96 51. Very close to the Pantheon, around the corner from Piazza Rotunda. Fabulous food, terrific service by Giorgio.

Anna
Old May 11th, 2009, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In addition to the excellent recommendations above, farther away, if you're interested in taking a taxi, is the wonderful and delicious Checchino dal 1887. Reservations essential.

http://www.checchino-dal-1887.com/

They specialize in fifth-quarter meats. I'm not a guts-eater and I found plenty on the menu to love. Wonderful carciofi, tonnarelli alla coda and abbacchio cacciatora. I will definitely return next time I'm in Rome.

I do think Armando al Pantheon is a good choice in your neighborhood. We enjoyed the pasta, the risotto and the abbacchio scottadito--this was several years ago. Friendly service, nice place.
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:10 PM

If you want to eat at Armando al Pantheon by all means call, email or ask your hotel to call to book a reservation for you. It's a tiny place and somehow every time I planned to go there for dinner it was either closed or full. They had odd hours as many italian places do.

A nice walk from the Pantheon but not far at all is one of my favorites, Il Bacaro: This was probably my favorite of the nicer restaurants we went to. Great food, charming atmosphere. And let the wine guy (owner I think) tell you what wine to choose. Cozy, charming place on this tiny alley/side street just past Navona. Also great walking streets near here. You must make reservations and it is open every evening for dinner except Sunday. 06-6864110 and the address is via degli spagnoli, 27.

Enoteca Cul DeSac. Tons of wine choices and great small plate food choices. It is a sit down place but very informal and awesome. You will probably have to wait to be seated but you can ask for a glass of wine while waiting. We waited outside in the cold but still loved it. Near Navona square…fun atmosphere, yummy small plates… I think we had a plate of deli meats and then we each had pasta. The streets in this area are fun to wander too. Piazza Pasquino 73, P. Navona, 0668801094, http://web.tiscali.it/culdesac/.

Da Gildo is a tiny homey restaurant on a side street in Trastavere, Rome. So this is not close-by. You could actually walk but a taxi might be better. Very family run...they barely speak any English but you can communicate enough. The pasta is all fresh home-made and totally delicious. Everything we ate there was unbelievable. On Christmas day, I had pasta Caccio et Peppe which I am sure I am spelling wrong but it was so fresh and delicious served in a charming homey way. The hot steaming pasta is brought to your table where they grate a very fresh tasty cheese and lots of pepper right over the pasta pronto. Out of this world! It’s on Via della Scala in Trastavere. It’s only bout 10 tables so reservations would help but we walked in both times and lucked out. We did see them turn a few people away once the place was full up though. YUM!
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:16 PM

In Rome, have a meal at Le Tamerici, which is near the Trevi Fountain. Vicolo Scavolino 79, uphill from the Trevi, take via del Lavatore, and first left. Think 120 Euro for two, and we ate there twice in three days. They have a web site, www.letamerici.com. Best food we have eaten in all Italy, ever, and was one of the reasons we went to Rome this time. We were served by one Kate, who hails from the Hunter Valley in Aus, a girl of good humour. (“Would you recommend the pork or the duck?” “Don’t ask me, I’m a vegetarian.”)
Old May 12th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

thanks so mkuch everyone. We have a res at Armando al Pantheon for Friday night at 8 (hope we are still awake from jet lag!) and these are good suggestions for Sat.