Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Residence des Arts or Hotel de Fleurie for Family of 5?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 10:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any feedback on these two choices of hotels in Paris? Planning on getting either 2 adjoining rooms or family room. Also, any advice for our decision of traveling to Provence or South of France after Paris? Not sure if the topless beaches are a good thing for my pre-adolescent boys! Maybe a stay in the countryside with possible side trips would be better? Thanks!
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 10:21 PM

Res. des Arts has suites, not sure about adjoining rooms. Hotel de Fleurie has family rooms and a nice breakfast buffet. Residence des Arts doesn't offer a buffet breakfast though. Both hotels are in excellent areas and have great staff. Pascal, the manager at the Residence des Arts, is very helpful. Either hotel is a good choice actually.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 10:27 PM
Original Poster

thanks francophile! Any advice on places to stay in the Provence region?<BR>Also, will 1 taxi accomodate all 5 of us and luggage? We plan to bring only 1 small suitcase per person? Should we take the shuttle instead? Thanks again for your advice!<BR>
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 10:35 PM

Hi travelmom, thanks, but I'm not familiar with travel to Provence and Southern France. However, I'm sure it can be done as there are trains that go there. <BR><BR>As for transportation in Paris, five to a taxi may be too many. Many people like the shuttle but I prefer not to take it-just a personal choice. I'd rather hire either a larger taxi or take two taxis instead. But that's only my choice. Have a great trip!!
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 10:50 PM
Original Poster

I agree that sometimes it's just worth the extra $$ in order to avoid a hassle. Thanks again!
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 03:19 PM

Hi travelmom,<BR><BR>Both these hotel choices are excellent, although I'd probably go with the Fleurie, since you'll have two bathrooms for the five of you. As for going on to southern France, I say do it! Took our two teens there last year ( my husband and I have gone quite a bit to Nice) and after the initial shock wore off, it was no big deal, and we had a wonderful time. The countryside is beautiful in Provence, but I think the Riveria probably offers more entertainment etc possiblities for teens. Have a wonderful time!
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 05:27 PM

Residence des Arts has nice 2 bedroom, 2 bath suites with sitting area that is nice for a family. Their other brand new property across the street, Villa d'Estrees, has adjoining rooms. There are many places just steps away to get coffee, juice, croissants in the morning. I agree that Pascal is terrific- friendly and helpful.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 04:56 PM

When are you travelling? Do not go to the beach in July or August, getting there is not worth the effort, but Provence is. However, getting your pre-adolescent males out of Puritanical America would be good for them...better to see it first on the beach than under some dorm room blanket.