Reservations for Hotel America in Granada/Other hotel ideas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2003, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to make reservations for Hotel America in Granada for May. They are not fielding calls until March 1 (they are closed). Does anyone have any ideas where I can make online reservations? If I don't get a room, any other ideas for Granada hotels? I'll be there for a single night, so is it imperative that I stay on the hill? Also, I'll have a car, so I need somewhat adequate parking. Ideas? Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 06:34 AM

We just made reservations in May at the Hotel del Casa Capitel Nazari in Granada. It looks very nice on its website and I've read favorable reviews. The parking is explained on its website: http://www.granadainfo.com/cap/
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 07:06 AM

(sorry if this poster appears more than once - technical problems on this side)<BR><BR>In 2001 we stayed in Granada at Hotel Carmen, Acera del Darro 62, tel (23) 34-958-25-83-00, fax (23) 34-958-25-64-62. They have a garage. Your car will be of no use in Granada (narrow and convoluted streets in the central area, no parking at all on Alhambra hill). It's not a luxury hotel, well located, I would gladly return there. To reach Alhambra hill &amp; palaces, board a special touristic bus, not far away from this hotel (just walk to its bus stop). Alhambra is heavily frequented, you buy a ticked good for entrance at an appointed time, and limiting your visit to (I don't remember exactly ...) 3 hours. So arrive there as early as possible. It is very nice strolling down the Alhambra hill along its narrow streets . The facing hill (Albaicin) offers very nice panoramas. It is really very difficult driving in central Granada, we were unable to negotiate our way to our hotel. At last, we asked a taxi driver for help, and just followed him (we payed the regular fee). I strongly advise you to do the same. Driving out of Granada was surprisingly easy.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 08:19 AM

brianc57,<BR>Have you tried an email to the Hotel America? If not, try [email protected] This worked for me the last time I tried to book while they were closed. They did respond to my request by email. I don't believe there's a source for on-line reservations. The Hotel America does have parking, but be prepared to walk a bit to reach your car. The Alhambra complex itself has a huge parking lot.<BR><BR>I will strongly second the notion that downtown Granada is not a place to use a car and that making your way through the maze to your hotel can be often be very time-consuming and frustrating. The advantage to staying on the Alhambra hill is that you can avoid the snarl of downtown traffic altogether by taking the Carretera de Circunvalaci&oacute;n before entering the city, which circles around and takes you straight up to the Alhambra. But if you can't find lodging up there, then the taxi idea is an excellent one. Many have done this. And the little shuttle bus that departs from the Plaza Nueva will take you from downtown right up to the Alhambra entrance. It runs every 10-15 min. or so. <BR><BR>If you can't book at the America up on the hill, besides the Carmen or the new Capitel Nazar&iacute; downtown (which received a very good review here recently that I brought to the top of the screen for you-check &quot;Granada hotels&quot, you might also try the Tryp Albaicin, which should be in the same price range and not far away.<BR><BR>Good luck!<BR><BR><BR><BR>
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 10:04 AM

In 198, I stayed at the Alhambra Palace and enjoyed it very much. Very Moorish in style. If I recall correctly, we parked there for free. Good luck.