Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Requesting Fodorite Feedback on Paris Apartment

Old Jan 16th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After much searching, many comparisons and no small amount of hand-wringing, I think I've settled on an apartment for a month's stay in Paris this April. Would love some input from the Fodorite braintrust, because although the rental gets good feedback on its listing site -- homelidays.com -- I don't have the reassurance that comes with finding reviews on trusted haunts like Fodor's and Slowtrav.

Sooo... the basic criteria for my apartment were: a broadband Internet connection; location in the heart of the Marais (4th arr.); cost under 2,000 Euro per month; a courtyard-facing view (light sleeper). Obviously, in this price category, I don't mind stairs and rather snug square footage. This little place seems to fit the bill at 1,650 Euro/month and a great location on Rue Bourg-Tibourg.

Drawbacks: lack of a washing machine (but plenty of laundromats around); no WiFi, though the owners assure me the DSL connection is Mac-friendly. I'd also dearly love a sofabed for a visiting London friend, but she's okay with toting her air mattress four floors, so who am I to argue?

Plusses: location; a separate, albeit weensy, bedroom; and a charm in the decor, rare in the Ikea wasteland of budget apartments, that seems to indicate owner pride.

Here is the apartment's Website:
http://www.geocities.com/corradopaci...le-marais.html

And here is its Homelidays listing:
http://www.homelidays.com/paris-04/a...lat70644en.htm

Rental terms: The owners are snail-mailing me the contract, which is in French, alas, so will have to have a Francophone friend help with that. I sign and return it with a 400 Euro security deposit, refundable at the beginning of the rental period (but which I'll probably use for the required 400 Euro damage deposit, also due at that time). Rent is paid either in half or in full (my choice) when I arrive.

And there it is! Sorry if I went on a bit. Input much appreciated. Thanks!

Old Jan 16th, 2008, 11:09 PM

I think it's a lovely flat. But.. for a month with nothing to sit on but that settee, the two wicker chairs and the bed? not for me.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 07:09 AM

Hello Rosenatti,
We stayed in the same building 3+ years ago on the 3rd floor. The courtyard was then very quiet. Our apartment's owner,Tierry,(Parisbestlodge.com) said it was his most quiet apartment.
Yes, the location is fabulous!
Almost next door(downstairs) is a small grocery store(believe still there)
We had w/d so don't know about closest laundromat.
With much to see and do I hesitate to add another cafe recommendation but we like "Les Philosophes", rue vieille du Temple.
In any case, I hope it works out for you.
Bon Voyage,
Kathy

Old Jan 17th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies!

Sheila -- I agree about the settee, and really wish the place had a plush chair or love seat for relaxing after a long day. But my options in this price category, all studios, weren't much better... either a convertible that served as both couch and bed or just a bed and one small chair. I'm hoping the settee will be just comfy enough for reading in the evenings. We'll see...

Kathy -- I checked out, and drooled over, Tierry's offerings on BestLodge, but they were out of my paltry price range. Wah! I'm really having to cut corners. I'm curious... how do you know this apartment is in the same building as his Marais place? I know it sounds silly, but I'm not even sure of my apartment's exact address. Guess I'd better ask and visit pagesjaunes.fr. I'm really pleased, though, by your description. It's exactly what I'm looking for!

Does anyone have input on the rental terms? To me, they sound pretty standard for a Paris vacation rental, except maybe the contract being in French... to be fair, though, I think I'm their first potential tenant from the U.S.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 12:45 PM

What a great price and bigger than a hotel room.This is the beat location to me........the stairs would kill it for me
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 12:57 PM

It looks light and bright! I like it.
The chairs/stools in the kitchen look fairly comfortable (more so than the settee and wicker chairs anyway).
Do let us know how it turns out.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Hypatia -- I'm trying to look at the stairs as an involuntary workout. By the time I leave Paris, my stomach might betray my love of patisseries, but my legs? Impeccable!

Highflyer -- I'll be sure to report back on the furniture's comfort... or should I say lack of comfort? So far it looks like I'm the only one feeling optimistic about the poor little settee. Hey, I'll kick off my shoes, put up my feet, recline on the pillows... what could go wrong? Err... maybe I don't want to know.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 05:35 PM

The place looks lovely.
Terms seem reasonable. I'd love to stay there myself.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 06:00 PM

Two words cinched it for me:

Frette linens.

You have to stay there. So many owners can arrange for a protable bed. Do you think they could find one for your friend from London?

We have stayed in 3 apartments in the last year, and they all had air beds stored somewhere in the apt.

Looks great and seems reasonable. AND it has Frette linens. Bon nuit!
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Original Poster

I'm loving the encouragement and feedback. Merci!

Stokebailey -- I think the terms seem reasonable, too, but I'm still glad to hear someone else agrees with me! I'll be sure to report back on how things went.

...and Tuscanlifeedit, I'll report back on the Frette linens for you! Thanks for suggesting I ask the owners about an air mattress. It would save me and/or my London friend a long, ungainly haul up a long, ungainly staircase.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 05:10 AM

Morning,
It's wet and cold here in Boston...(time for me to dream and remember our Paris trips.)
On your question to me re: how did I know the exact address? The owner's website has a distance wheel with the address in the middle.
Re: stairs..I culled my old Paris journal of that trip. My grandaughter counted 52 steps to our 3rd floor landing.
Actually, hubby and I have done 4 floors since. I find the only hard part is carrying the luggage.
Let us know how your month goes, would you?
Kathy
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 11:13 AM

Ros....Last time I was in Paris I hiked up Notre Dame and the Arc de Triumph (300 steps each) and ALL over the 4th and the 6th. My legs were so spent I could barely make it out of the metro (one flight)..All I can remember thinking was thank goodness I'm back!.But if you're young and an athlete, great! ....Remember your flat is always going to be the last place.. so save some leg power..At least it's close to the metro
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 07:51 PM

mark
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

Kathy -- trust me to overlook the obvious! I actually went to Thierry's site and looked at his pics of the buildings surrounding #20, and now I'm beyond happy with my choice of streets -- I'm thoroughly besotted. Then there's nearby Rue Des Rosiers, land of the transcendent delis...

Hypatia -- I'm neither particularly young nor fit, so I'll make a point of taking elevators -- or paying some dashing young man to carry me -- elsewhere in the city to save my strength for the home stretch.

Thanks, everyone! I'll be sure to report back.