Search

renting room-CT

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
renting room-CT

Has anybody just shown up without reservations in the CT and easily found a room? (Specifically Vernazza on a weekday in May). Do you have to drag your suitcases up and down hills while finding a place? Are there mobs of room-hawkers at the train station waiting to swoop down on each arriving train? It seems like many of the small pensiones dont have websites or accept advance reservations.

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:00 AM
ira

t
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:02 AM

We showed up in Santa Margherite in October without reservations and a husband/wife came up to us as we got off the train and offered us their extra apartment.(Ironically, the woman was American from New York who had married an Italian hairdresser.) I was a little leery but then my son who was studying in Torino at the time said that we should check it out. It was wonderful-two bedroomws,kitchen and close to everything. They had bought a condo in the next building and had kept this place to rent it out.
My son had gone to Vernazza a few weeks earlier and had gotten a room by a bell tower there for a cheap price-once again the man had been from New York originally and they just walked around till they found a vacancy.Because Vernazza is so much smaller and May is starting to be a higher season, I think that I would be tempted to get the room beforehand as its a very popular place.Vernazza is beautiful but getting overrun with everyone with their Rick Steves books!
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:35 AM

Rick himself says that if it isn't July, August, or a weekend or holiday, you can just arrive and easily find a room. I prefer to know ahead of time where I'm staying, but if this doesn't bother you, it sounds like a reasonable thing to do.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:20 PM

ciao Vivi
i live in Vernazza!in May .june and july are a lot tourists in the 5terre.and the best months,
i reccomend rent room now !Some hotel or rent room help your bags !there are some mobs of room -hawkers at the train station waiting to swoop down on each arriving train but you continue for your idea.!
if you want any question you write to www.roomartina.com
ciao