renting a car in tours, france

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2015, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan to rent a car in tours next march. From this list I have gotten a sense I need to clarify the CDW policies of my various credit cards. From some of the MIchelin maps I get sense that there are many toll roads in france. Is this so-if so, do I need to do anything in advance to prepare for this? thanks. .
Old Dec 31st, 2015, 08:45 AM

Yes, you need to know what your credit cards cover you for, so you can assess what, if anything, extra you need to pay for. If you're not covered by your cc's, then I'd recommend buying the AMEX all-inclusive one-time insurance for something like $25 per rental (I think you have to have an Amex card, though).

Yes, there are loads of toll roads in France, but there's no obligation to use them. If you do use them, either make sure you have a chip-and-pin credit card or be prepared to pay in cash, which means getting in the cash line, not the fast-pass or cc lines.

You should become familiar with www.viamichelin.com if you plan to drive in France.
Old Dec 31st, 2015, 09:09 AM

I like to use www.mappy.fr for routes in France, and it shows you all toll fees and where they are.
Old Dec 31st, 2015, 09:36 AM

Most people englishspeaking will favor Autoeurope. I use one of the big 4.
Old Jan 1st, 2016, 09:26 AM

I looked up a Hertz (French branch) rate for a week in March from Tours.

For a Fiat 500, the cost is $99.80
But that does not include the 20% VAT, nor does it indicate what the mileage rules are; it mentions other local taxes without giving the amount, and one must give the credit card information before receiving the contract.

Autoeurope offers a Twingo for $117, which includes unlimited mileage and the VAT. From previous experience, the extra costs are listed in dollar amounts either as a fixed fee (airport pick-up) or as a daily fee (pollution fee). The payment is made when one picks up the car.

I would go with Autoeurope (U.S. branch) simply because I will not be surprised by the extra fees. The cheapest equivalent from Autoeurope.fr is 143€.
Old Jan 1st, 2016, 10:20 AM

<i>The payment is made when one picks up the car.</i>

Correction, payment is made when ordering the car.
Old Jan 1st, 2016, 10:50 AM

<i>Correction, payment is made when ordering the car.</i>

Quotes from Autoeurope US do not road tax, location surcharge (airport/train station pickup), environmental fee (levied on cars with automatic transmissions), and other fees which are paid at drop off.
Old Jan 1st, 2016, 12:46 PM

That's what I said: "From previous experience, the extra costs are listed in dollar--correction, in euro--amounts either as a fixed fee (airport pick-up) or as a daily fee (pollution fee)."

but it tells you what those fees are in euros whereas I could not find the actual cost of the fees on the Hertz web site without entering my credit card number. If I recall correctly, the road fee, like the pollution fee, is a certain amount per day for a maximum of X (5 or 10) days, not necessarily for the entire rental time--and that is true of a rental whoever is the agent.
Old Jan 1st, 2016, 01:25 PM

The location surcharge is typically 40€ for train station or airport pickup except at CDG, ORY, or NCE where you can expect to pay 44.50€.

The road fee is 3.15€ per day up to 10 ten days.

The environmental fee (paid on cars with automatic transmissions) is 5€ per day up to 6 days.

The additional driver fee is 25€.

With Autoeurope USA, these costs are paid at drop off and are only mentioned in there Terms & Conditions. Autoeurope rentals include all mileage charges.

Depending upon the Autoeurope website used, some of these fees may be included and these fees are generally always included in quotes obtained from the rental companies themselves (one of the reasons they are higher).

Few of the rental company quotes will include unlimited mileage however. I generally recommend Autoeurope because they are fairly priced and their toll-free service means you will always have someone with whom you can discuss any problem and do so in English.
Old Jan 1st, 2016, 01:38 PM

<i>these fees are generally always included in quotes obtsiteained from the rental companies themselves</i>

Not from what I read on the Hertz site where it only said that other fees may apply. It may be that ultimately the fees will be included in the original rental fee, but it appears that they will be added to the $99.60 quote along with the 20% VAT.
Old Jan 1st, 2016, 01:46 PM

<i>Not from what I read on the Hertz site where it only said that other fees may apply. </i>

These other fees are not necessarily those which I have outlined above. There is a 25€ administration fee each time you are caught by a speed camera (of which there are thousands), there is a 55€ fee if you are involved in an accident, there can be a special snow tire fee of 35€ per day, and more and more rental companies are now charging cleaning fees which can reach 100€ or more if the car is left particularly dirty.

Hertz is also known for charging a one way fee for pickups/drop offs are differing locations within France. Avis does this as well but Europcar, Citer, and the others generally do not.