Notices

renting a car in Palermo

Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
renting a car in Palermo

We are deciding to rent a car when we arrive in Palermo at the airport. Are there any tricks to doing this? Any companies you recommend? Any hints to make this process as easy as it can be?

We will immediately leave Palermo and head to Polizzi Generosa for 2 days and then return to Palermo and drop off the car and go to our hotel. We have read by many that we don't want a car in Palermo.

We would love any words from the wise on this issue of car renting.

thanks in advance!
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 08:28 AM

We rented through Autoeurope UK. A recommendation from another site, it was significantly cheaper than Autoeurope US. I called the Autoeurope US number and said I wanted to pay in pounds. The rental terms were not completely similar but close enough for our purposes. We got the walkaway insurance which was worth it for the peace of mind. The car was great, almost new with a built-in navigator. We picked it up in Taormina and dropped it off at the Palermo airport. You do not want or need a car in Palermo.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 08:29 AM

No you do not want a car in Palermo. Crazy, crazy traffic. We rented a car at the airport, drove to Salaparuta and then returned the car and took the train into Palermo. There are several rental car agencies at the airport to choose from. We took pictures of the car when we returned it because I was a little paranoid of any extra charges, but it all turned out fine.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 08:39 AM

We were satisfied with EconomyCarRentals.com, but I do not know if they rent cars for only two days. I believe that Kemwel and AutoEurope have a three day minimum. But check their prices and then check the price of daily rentals (including insurance costs), and it may be worthwhile to rent for three days and just return the car early.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 12:00 PM

Ditto Economy Car Rentals, which is also a broker. I don't know if they have automatics, though.

There is a bus from the Palermo airport into town; the airport is at quite a distance.