Car Rental in Sicily???

Search

Car Rental in Sicily???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2003, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Rental in Sicily???

Ok, I'm researching car rentals for my week long trip to Sicily in May.<BR>I've searched the board here and on the internet.<BR>Many people have recommended AutoEurope (saying it was the cheapest) and a few have recommended a company called Italy By Car.<BR>I compared both and for the same car (Alfa Romeo 147 manual), in the same time frame (6 days) Auto Europe was almost US$100 higher, even when I factor in &quot;super theft and CDW&quot; charges to bring the deductable to $0 with Italy By Car. <BR>So, what to do? Anyone have any experience using Italy By Car?<BR>Thanks!
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 04:05 PM

A couple of years ago we picked up an AutoEurope rental car at the Palermo's Punta Raisi airport. We filled the car with gas before returning it to the airport per the instructions. However, it was early in the morning and no one was around to accept the car or check whether or not we had filled the tank. When we returned home, our Visa bill included an extra charge for filling the tank...something like $40.00. AutoEurope is administered by an outfit in Maine. They took car of refunding the $40.00. More recently, we rented a car out of Malpensa in Milano through the same company. We drove the car to a small town in northeastern Switzerland where it broke down. To make a long story short, it took a year but I got every cent back for the car rental plus expenses for hotel stays, train travel, and meals for 10 days for 4 people. The only thing that I could have done better, would have been to use American Express instead of Visa. American Express is a better advocate of their loyal customers than Visa is.<BR><BR>I'm leaving for Palermo next Wednesday but do not plan on renting a car. Driving in Palermo would challenge a Mario Andretti.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 04:12 PM
cmt

Sicula: I didn't drive myself, but I thought one thing that was even WORSE than the driving in Palermo was the driving in Catania. I don't know how anyone can stand it.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks.<BR>Anyone else rent from Italy By Car??
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

to the top.