Search

Rental cars

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rental cars

Hi, I'm renting a car for 4 people (plus 4 suitcases) for a week trip around Germany. I need to rent an automatic car and the options are limited:
- Ford Focus
- Mercedes A Klasse
- Mercedes C Klasse

Anyone know which car would be the best fit? The Mercedes C klasse is the biggest, but also the most expensive so I wanted to see if anyone has driven a A Klasse or European Ford Focus to let me know about the trunk size etc?

Thanks!
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 01:15 PM

Get a wagon--at least mid-size---for the luggage.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 01:25 PM

Yes, a Ford Focus Wagon would be good.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 01:30 PM
J62

Agree - midsize wagon, Ford Focus "or similar" would be good.

You should expect to get the "or similar" model - the Ford Focus is merely representative of the vehicle class.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For four A gets an F.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 02:54 PM

I've driven a Mercedes A, I am not sure if it is the same as an "A Klasse", but guess so. I really liked that car a lot, cute little compact hatchback. I don't think it would be big enough for four people with suitcases, though, the trunk space isn't that big at all. The interior might be okay if you don't need a lot of space, but I don't think you could put four suitcases in it.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 05:33 PM

You will have trouble with the luggage unless the largest thing you have is a 22" bag.

We rented a C class in the hope of having room for luggage but only 3 medium size (24") bags would fit in the trunk - along with 4 small squashy carry-ons. The 4th bag had to sit between the back seat passengers. Also I was very disappointed with the car itself. It seems they use different engines i n europe than in the US. One day my SIL and I took the car for a day trip - and even with just the two of us it had minimal pickup to get on the highway.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 05:34 PM

Sorry - with all 4 of us and moderate luggage the car was an absolute slug.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 07:56 PM

Rental cars will often have the cheapest and therefore least powerful engines. ;^(

See if you can get a Passat TDI wagon ... the turbo diesel has plenty of power and there will be room for your luggage.

It seems to me I once saw on Sixt.com that for a small fee they'd guarantee you got the car you requested and not the dreaded 'or similar'.

One trick is to try to have at least some of your group use 'soft' luggage rather than hard sided suitcases or roller luggage that have rigid frames. We once rented a camper van for a month and there would have been nowhere to store regular luggage... with soft sided bags you can squish things into a given space more easily.

Rob
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 03:21 AM

The C Klasse is mainly more expensive than really bigger. Out of those three I recommend the A Klasse ( B Klasse would be the best) unless it is not much more expensive than the Focus.
Did you check http://www.autoeurope.com
They have really good rates.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 02:24 PM

The European (in fact international) class designation goes from A to F, with A being the smallest. F the biggest (luxury).

A Ford Focus wagon would fit your needs. The European Focus is a newer model than the one sold in the US The latter will be replaced for 2011, I believe. Get a Diesel, if you can. It's cheaper to run and just as powerful. While you contact AutoEurope, check out the Ford Transit. That is a small van with lots of space.