Rental car pick up in Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wondering where everyone gets their cars across the Switzerland/Germany border. I've place a hold on an Avis rental in Freiburg's downtown office. That's really a good town for our starting point. The only issue is that they don't have a pick up at the train station. Has anyone else gone to the downtown location? Is there some where closer, or another company with a better pick up location?
Old Dec 25th, 2013, 10:08 AM

Are you going to return to Germany? Or have you checked out the cross border drop-off charge?

(I know Germany is cheaper but the drop-off fee might negate savings.)
Old Dec 25th, 2013, 12:42 PM

Freeburg is quite a way from the German Swiss border. Basel may be a better option with its 3 country position. I don't know where you are coming from in Switzerland but Konstanz is another border town. Whether the two spots have rail pick up locations and whether you want to do the extra driving to Freiburg as opposed to transferring from the by train to the rental office is another question.
Old Dec 25th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

We are taking a train from Interlocken to Feiburg. We are dropping off in Munich a week later.
Old Dec 25th, 2013, 04:14 PM

That would be Interlaken and Freiburg im Breisgau (there is at least one other Freiburg nearby, also called Fribourg, and others).

Hertz is right by the train station in Freiburg i.B., at Bismarckallee 7C,
+49 761 8885620

A few others are not far. Google the terms "Freiburg im Breisgau Mietwagen" and look at the map and at the list of rental agencies, and use the "directions" of each to see the distance from Bismarckallee which is the address of the station.

But I don't understand. If you take the train from Interlaken (in Switzerland) to Freiburg i.B., why are you worried about re-entering Switzerland, this time by car, to get to Munich? The most logical route from F.i.B. to M. is not via any Swiss territory, but via route 31 through the Black Forest region and along the eastern shore of Lake Konstanz (all on German soil), or some more northerly country roads for a scenic drive, but not through Switzerland.

If you do re-enter Switzerland, your car will need to display the "Vignette" (road-tax sticker) if you drive on the National (fast) expressways.
Old Dec 26th, 2013, 06:39 AM

Last revised programm of soods (edited about 1 month ago):

Airport to Lucern 3 nights with side trips to Bern and lake cruise
Wengen 3 nights
Train to Black Forest one night (need help with a good place to pick up car and to stop for the day after long train from interlaken)
Mosell 2 nights
Rhine river 1 night ( just long enough for a sightseeing short cruise)
Rothenburg 1 night
Munich 4 nights (day trip to Salzburg )

It seems that after having got 95 answers to his 3 previous threads concerning the same trip, he improved it again. As we don't know in which way (transit through Switzerland?), it's rather difficult to give a good advice.
Old Dec 26th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Not sure what you are saying neckervd. When I visited with the gentleman from BETS, he told me that I could get a train from interlaken, possibly with no stops, or one train change in Basel and then on to Frieberg im. My question was simple I thought, where is the closest auto rental pick up in relation to the train station in Freiberg im.?

I followed michelheubeli's advise and called hertz through Europecar. They will drop the car off at the train station but it is a pricey thing to do. All of the other rental locations seem to be on the same street about 10 minutes by taxi. At least that's what I've figured out so far. I was looking for any other suggestions.

The fact that there have been 95 conversations regarding my questions has what to do with anything? I thought that's what the forum was for
Old Dec 26th, 2013, 10:49 AM

Hi soods

After catching a train from Switzerland we picked up our car in Frieburg im from the Europecar office. We were going to catch a taxi, however we went to the info office at the station and found out the tram number to catch and what stop to get off at. We then walked a block to the Europe car office. Lots of trams leave from the station very frequently. We had bags so just stood and the tram did get rather busy as we went via the University and lots of students use the tram.

I'm sure a taxi would be no problem.

We also dropped our car off at the train station in Munich, now that was an experience because it was the last day of Octoberfest!
Old Dec 26th, 2013, 11:30 AM

"Wondering where everyone gets their cars across the Switzerland/Germany border"
I didn't understand this sentence seeming to tell us that you want to backtrack by car from Freiburg over the Swiss border and then leave Switzerland again in direction of Munich.

There are direct Interlaken - Freiburg (- Berlin) ICE of course. You got the timetable links in your previous threads.
Old Dec 26th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone