Germany - Swz train ??

Search

Germany - Swz train ??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Germany - Swz train ??

We will be spending some time in Germany with a car but plan on "dumping" it to take train to Murren, Swizerland. Is it best to travel from Munich or closer to a border town? Any & all suggestions/experiences appreciated.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 11:55 AM

From Germany, there are essentially three express train routes into Switzerland.
From Munich, you can come via Bregenz to Zürich or via Stuttgart to Schaffhausen to Zürich. The 3rd way is through Basel.

I have gone to Lauterbrunnen, mandatory for Mürren, from Munich two ways: via Bregenz and via Stuttgart.

I think the Bregenz route is a little faster time wise.

From Stuttgart, you ride the Cisalpino which is often crowded and generally requires a seat reservation for some sections of the trip. As I recall, between Stuttgart and Schaffhausen, a seat reservation was recommended, and I was glad I had one.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 12:01 PM

PS. I think you drop the car where there is an office for your rental agency in Germany.

Memmingen and Buchloe are the only major stops on the express train via Bregenz.
I don't know how they are equipped with car rental offices.

You can check the routes and all stops at the Swiss site www.sbb.ch or the German site at http://bahn.hafas.de/bin/query.exe/e...quest=yes&

the above site is in English, if you need it.
The Swiss site has English captions as well.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 12:08 PM

We used AutoEurope for a rental that began after a train trip from Switzerland. This was through Avis, picked up the car in Lindau the day after arriving via train from Luzern (through Bregenz as brookwood described).

Old Jul 14th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for your input - also apologize for the double post. Not too sure yet how this whole thing operates
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 11:29 AM

With AutoEurope, you can drop off your car in Lindau. There are a couple of ways to get there from Munich: Via autobahn A-96, with perhaps a detour from the Inning exit (#30)to Herrsching am Ammersee (Lake) and on to Kloster Andechs. This is a beautiful church, an active Benedictine monastery and a fun experience: Right near the church is a big beer garden, where they serve the Andechs beer right out the beer kegs. With it you can have a filling serving of Leberkaes (a Bavarian meat specialty) and potato salad for EUr 5.00.

The other route is on the A-96 as far as Exit 22 (Buchloe Ost), then south on the B-12, via Kaufbeuren, Marktoberdorf - Kempten. At Kempten you get briefly on the A-7 to exit #136 and continue on the B-12 to Lindau. Part of this latter section is on the Deutsche Alpenstrasse (German Alpine Route). It leads through the Allgaeu section of Bavaria, famous for its cheese making. You have some nice views from the highway of the mountains.

The AVIS station is within a 10 minutes walk of the Lindau Bahnhof, which in turn is at the harbor of this island city in Lake Constance (Bodensee). Give the AVIS operator a little tip and they they will take you to the station

Old Jul 14th, 2005, 01:09 PM

Actually the Avis office is not on the island of Lindau. It's at 27 Bregenzer Strasse, about 2.5 miles away from the Bahnhof. You might find someone who would be willing to drive you to the station. On our trip, the office was manned by only one person. We walked to Avis, but we were staying at a hotel and didn't have to carry the luggage, etc.

You may wish to drop off your luggage and passenger(s) at the train station. Then drive off the island to Avis and if you can't get them to drive you back to the station, you could catch a cab or walk back which would probably take 40-45 minutes.