rental car in paris

Search

rental car in paris

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rental car in paris

My husband and I want to rent a car to drive to and from Burgundy. Are we crazy to rent the car in Paris (leaving Sunday morning, returning Wed night). Is getting in out of the city too nuts?
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 05:31 AM

I don't think it's that hard if you choose the rental location carefully. We departed Paris on a Sunday morning (which makes it much simpler - no traffic) from the Europcar location near L'Etoile on Avenue Foch - it was a very short easy drive to the Boulevard Peripherique and I assume the drop off would be quite straight forward as well.

One time we returned to Place de la Madeleine - that was an experience!
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 05:32 AM

No, it isn't all that bad if you have experience driving in other big cities. It can be a few minutes of irritation--of course if you are the excitable or panicy type then it's a whole new deal.
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 05:33 AM

We once picked up a car in Paris, drove R/T to Switzerland and returned the car in Paris and did not find it a hassle at all. This was in the days before we had a GPS and just used the directions given by the hotel concierge to get out of the city. Getting back we just followed signs and our memory.
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 05:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Sunday morning presents no challenge whatsoever. You'll wonder how you could have possibly ever worried about the drive.

Gare Montparnasse would be the closest major car rental location to the southern exit of Paris. Not that it matters, but if you are picking up the car on a Sunday morning, too, often it is mostly the train station locations that are open then.
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 06:38 AM

Check with www.autoeurope.com for pricing. What will not be included in the quote will be the train station/airport surcharge (about 40€), road tax, and environmental fees (about 35€) if you order a rental with an automatic. If you can avoid a train station or airport pickup you will save the surcharge.

A Sunday departure will be very easy.
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 06:58 AM

We're in Burgundy right now and have loved driving around this beautiful region. You might consider picking up the car in Paris on Sunday, using it to tour the area, then returning it in Dijon or Beaune and taking the TGV back to Paris. Nice train ride, less hassle. If your travel plans are still a few months off, you can probably get a very low PREM fare on the TGV for your return. For instance, right now in mid-November the fare is €17 from Beaune to Paris.
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks MaineGG I just booked our TGV from Dijon to Paris. Not great savings since we will be traveliong next week. But sounds like it with be worth it for less hassle and a nice train trip. Anything we should not miss why we're there? Where are you staying, how is the weather?
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 09:01 AM

We picked up our car at Hertz in Paris and drove out to Mont St. Michel then to Normandy. Had no issues at all driving out of Paris. I'm from NYC and am used to city driving, so that may affect my view point, but I don't think you will have a problem.
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 09:11 AM

Have picked up and dropped off cars in Paris several times without any problem. Pick a rental office close to the peripherique - to avoid crossing town in rush hours.
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 10:15 AM

We're staying in Beaune and leaving tomorrow. The weather has been pleasant and we've covered a lot of territory. Spent a day in Dijon, and three more days just driving around visiting towns and places that interest us: Cluny, Autun, Avallon, Vézelay, Vauban's chateau in Bazoches, Semur-en-Auxois, Alésia (Alise-Ste.-Reine), Châteauneuf. The countryside is beautiful and the roads are in great shape and well marked. Be sure to get a good map. We have a Michelin 1:200.000 that is very good. Spent most of a day in Dijon following the Owl Trail.

We're not really focused on food and wine like so many who visit this area, and so many contributors to this forum. More into scenery, history and architecture.

If you're returning your car to the station in Dijon, be aware that the streets around the station are all torn up because they are putting in tram lines (I think). Be sure to allow extra time.

You will enjoy this area whatever your interests. It's lovely.

Bon voyage!
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 12:25 PM

If you use www.autoeuope.fr instead of "dot com" you will have an all inclusive quote because mysterious add-ons are illegal in France.
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 01:37 PM

There are no mysterious add-ons when using the www.autoeurope.com. All charges are quite clearly indicated when reservations are made. However, as Autoeurope is not based in the EEC, they do not collect taxes associated with a rental there. Applicable taxes are payable in France at drop off.

However, looking for low prices is always a good idea and if someone can negotiate his contract in French without the help of Autoeurope in the USA, using the French arm of Autoeurope can be a good idea.
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

MaineGG, Thanks for the heads up regarding the torn up roads in Dijon. We did leave extra time and needed every second of it. We drove around in circles for over an hour and just by accident came upon the rental drop off. In hind site I would have dropped off in Beaune and taken the train to Dijon. What a mess!
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 05:15 AM

Have done this both ways usually get best deals

out of CDG carrentals.com Renault Eurodrive for 2 weeks or

more usually saves me some like to rent in rural remote areas.

But for me Car is more expensive than train seat61.com

TGV best usually for me regional train (CoRail) cheapest

traffic and expense a nightmare in Big Cities...Paris scary.

Happy Travels!
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 09:08 AM

We want to drive to Normandy area in October from Paris. Which Hertz location would be best to rent from? Any ideas? Does it matter?
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 09:33 AM

Frankly it doesn't matter, although I do think that the 3 biggest train stations are often the best place, since they have a wider variety of cars: Gare du Nord, Gare de Lyon and Gare Montparnasse.

Once you get the car, all you have to do is drive to the périphérique (ring road around Paris) and head for your exit (which would be Rouen).
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 09:40 AM

well, sure it matters in terms of time, in any case. Normandy is NW of Paris, so it would be a bad idea to rent a car on the east side of Paris. You would have to go on the A13 highway to Normandy, I believe you'd be going off in the direction of La Defense then Neuilly and St Germain-en-Laye (basically W of Porte Maillot), so whichever way would be best for that, some car rental near La Defnese or Porte Maillot or even the Arc de Triomphe.
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 01:28 PM

While it is true that Normandy is NW of Paris, A13 departs Paris from the SW, specifically Porte d´Auteuil. You could find a rental agency near Porte Maillot but Gare Montparnasse is equally feasible.
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 02:22 PM

Thanks everyone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -