Search

Rental Car

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rental Car

We will be picking up our rental car at the train station in Naples and then driving to Tuscany. We are undecided where to drop off the car when we are through. Rome airport or train station? This is the first time driving in Italy so want to miss as much traffic congestion as possible. We can also drop it off in Pisa or Florence & take the train to Rome. Which would be best? Really just looking for the easiest. Also what would be the best mode of transportation to get into the center of Rome after dropping off the car?
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 04:55 PM

I would not want to drive into Rome unless it is a saturday or Sunday. I would suggest dropping the car in some town north of Rome on the main train line and training into Rome, Orvieto is an example, but FLorence might fit your plans better. Be sure to time punch your train tickets at the yellow machine just before you board the train! The conductor will check them on the train and there is a big fine for not having it punched. Also, eat breakfast and maybe lunch standing up in the restaurant. Service charges for sitting will raise the cost of that breakfast roll from 1 euro to 5+. You will notice the Italians all stand!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 05:43 PM

Is there any possibility you can pick up your rental car in Rome or somewhere actually in Tuscany instead of Naples?

Even tourists with years of driving in Italy under their belts do not risk driving in Naples. I strongly urge you to rearrange this if you at all possible. First-time drivers may find it an extremely unnerving introduction to driving in Italy.

I love to drive in Italy, but when I'm done with it, I like to drop it off at the nearest office -- which in your case may be Pisa or Firenze. Dropping it off at the Rome airport may incur extra charges. Obviously you are headed back to Rome after dropping off your car, and it seems unnecessary to fight traffic and drive to the airport only to get on a train back to Rome.

I don't know who your rental car company is, but they probably have a website that lists their offices and hours. Look for alternative places to both pick up and drop off your car that suits your itinerary.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

We are flying into Naples so we can visit Pompeii. Have not rented the car yet so possibly could take the train up North. We will be staying close to Siena and wanted the car to tour the area and then we are driving to Lucca for 9 days. Need to return to Rome to join a tour group. Open to all suggestions.
Thanks
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 06:08 PM

Great! You can visit Pompeii using the Circumvesuviana train line. (If possible, spend one or two nights in Pompeii.) To go north, you can take trains all the way to Siena and Firenze.

I'm pretty sure there are car rental offices in Siena. If I am wrong about that, I am positive you can rent a car in Firenze.

By the way, most rental car companies give you a lot of flexibility in changing around your pick up and drop-off places. There are fewer options if you rent an automatic, however, because those mainly are rented only in the largest cities.

I use Europcar. Always make sure you get zero deductible coverage.

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. Will check into Orvieto for a rental.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 06:25 PM

There are no extra fees for returning a rental car to an airport location.

The extra fees apply to picking up at an airport location.

As a first time driver in Italy, I would definitely not recommend driving into Rome or Florence.

Pisa is an easy town to naviagate, as is Orvieto.

You can get directions on mappy.com directly to your rental car return location.

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 10:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks
I knew you travelers would come to my aid. Really appreciated.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:05 AM

If you plan to use public transportation between Siena and Firenze use the bus. It is only one hour and the bus terminal in Siena is far more convenient than the train station. In Firenze, the bus and train stations are only a street or two apart. Having driven on more than one occasion in Rome, Firenze and Naples, I would avoid all three, but Rome is not as bad as the other two and Naples would be the worst IMHO.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:11 AM

Thanks for the correction Georgine!
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:58 PM

I use Kemwel for auto rental.