rental car

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rental car

hello - my family and i are going to ireland in july. there are 7 adults going. we are trying to figure out if we should rent a 9 passenger minivan or get 2 5 passenger mid sized cars. all of us are going to have luggage. we know the cars are smaller there so we weren't sure if the minivan was going to fit all of us and our luggage. any suggestions???
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 06:34 PM

Dunno as to cost comparison (2 cars vs 1 van), but I have taken 6 adults two seperate times and found the 9 passenger VW Carravelle and the Mercedes Vito were more than adequate for us. Last time out was the Vito, 2 men and 4 women. Each 'couple' had 1 large (27-30&quot suitcase, and each person had a carry-on sized bag. It was challenging, but everything worked out.
Driving the 9 passenger on Ring of Kerry, City Center of Galway, Cork City, Limmerick, Killarney and some REALLY out-of-the-way boreens in the mountains of West Cork was VERY challenging, But doable without mishap. Co-ordinating 2 vehicles over narrow, unfamiliar roads in the peak of high season would seem entirely too stressful to me. I would not recommend it unless absolutely necessary.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 06:50 PM

My experience is actually opposite of Itallian Chaufer. I think you will be happier w/ 2 reasonable sized cars. And two cars will be cheaper than a 9-passenger van (if you get stick shifts they would be quite a bit cheaper).

Some things to consider -

- The roads are narrow and winding, and while full sized buses can navigate many of them - those drivers drive them every day and are used to the conditions. if you are not used to driving in Ireland, smaller vehicles will be easier.

- If you have just one vehicle you will be forced to be joined at the hip everywhere. During the day (not on "moving days" when you have all the luggage) if 5 or 6 want to go to some particular castle, but the rest want to have a leisurely day and maybe just do some shopping and/or walking - can't do it because you all have to travel together. 2 cars could make for some happier campers.

I would probably rent a mid-sized estate (station wagon) and a saloon (sedan), The estate car would give you a little bit more luggage space.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 04:02 PM

There were seven in our family who rented a car in Ireland last July and we got a 9 passenger van which you would need as you have to have room for your luggage. We rented a Fiat van at Shannon airport and you can also get a VW 9 passenger van. We had originally ordered a 7 passenger van but saw there would be no room for luggage so luckily there was a 9 passenger van available and we did fine on the narrow roads. You just have to keep your wits about you.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 05:13 PM

If you rent two vehicles, buy a pair of walkie talkies. You can communicate with each other up to a couple of hundred yards apart This was very handy on one trip, when one car ran into trouble.