Search

Renfe web discount?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Renfe web discount?

Hi,

I tried to purchase a one way ticket from Cordoba to Sevilla for Sept 9th, but there were no web discounts available for the AVE trains. Seems very unlikely that the tix were sold out since it was exactly 62 days before the travel date when I tried.

I purchased a ticket from Madrid to Cordoba on July 8 for Sept 8 and was given the discount with no problems.

I looked for the same Madrid to Cordoba tix just to see if the discount will appear but it didn't. Did they discountinue the web discounts or something?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 01:09 PM

babshunnie, I just now tried the Renfe web site for Cordoba - Sevilla on your date and I see that for the AVE service, a web fare appears for the AVE03940 (13.06 - 13.52) at around 20 EUR for the Club class, and also on the ARCO (18.40 - 19.55) non AVE (slower, likely with stops en route) for 7.30 EUR in turista class.

Web discounts are still there it seems. Perhaps waiting a day or two will result a broader selection (offering). Your date is mid-week, I would have a hard time believing that everything would sell-out in an eye blink this far ahead...

kanadajin
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 02:07 PM

The 62 days is not set in stone. Sometimes fares are loaded much closer to travel date than that, making you think there are no webfares. Be patient.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 05:59 AM
CPT

I am trying to purchase train ticket from Madrid to Seville, do not see any discount posted for this route but discounts are offered on return route from Seville to Madrid. If I am not seeing a webfare or "estrella" fare for sept travel at this point, base on the comment above, should I just wait and keep checking? Thanks
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 07:08 AM

I am not sure if webfares are ever loaded later on once the discounted fares have been loaded. Many trains do not offer many webfares as it is so it MAY be none are left.

Maybe someone else can comment on this exact situation. no webfares today.. but estrella, and later on webfares appeared...

I would assume they are all gone, but that again is me. Is the difference worth risking even losing the estrella fare?
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 07:30 AM
CPT

thanks. I have been trying to purchase the tickets even with only just estrella fare on the return trip ALL morning. But I am encoutering problems. =( I contacted my CC so they will approve it when it goes thru, but still no go. I tried it on both a Mac and a PC. Same error message just saying they cant process this. argh! Maybe I will just have to call them instead since it's not web fare anyway.

On another note, I am not able to find any schedule from Madrid to Toledo on 9/04. Based on forum comments, safe to assume they are still updating schedules? I just plan on checking everyday. Thanks
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 08:10 AM

A month ago more or less RENFE began to sell tickets four months in advance. Result, the web and estrella fares are disappearing very quick.

Good luck, Cova
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 11:03 AM

"I am trying to purchase train ticket from Madrid to Seville, do not see any discount posted for this route but discounts are offered on return route from Seville to Madrid."

I am seeing a similar situation for our dates in October - now that you can buy tickets 4 months out. Renfe shows lots of tickets available for purchase at full fare Madrid-Sevilla, and very few train times even listed for purchase (all in the afternoon/evening), but some with estrella fares Sevilla-Madrid. I too have been checking daily, hoping that more discounts and/or more train times will be released.

Will report back if I find that to be the case, and hope others will do the same.
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 09:58 AM

I thought I was doing something wrong- I was trying to get tickets from Madrid to Toledo also and nothing was showing up.
Millie
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 12:31 PM

Reporting back, as promised.

Yesterday I checked RENFE's site for tickets and found the same situation I mentioned above. (Lots of full-fare only tickets available for purchase Madrid-Sevilla, and few train times even listed for purchase - all in the afternoon/evening, but with a few estrella fares Sevilla-Madrid.)

Today, a number of webfares had been released for the Madrid-Sevilla portion of our trip. (Which is currently 92 days out.) The Sevilla-Madrid portion showed the same times and fares available as before.

I decided to pull the trigger and buy the roundrip tickets now. My attempted purchase initially did not go through, so I called my cc company. Sure enough, they had denied the purchase as possible fraud. I explained that it was legitimate, they released the hold, and when I resubmitted my purchase, it worked fine.

Could I perhaps have gotten a webfare instead of an estrella fare, and/or a slightly more convenient train time for the Sevilla-Madrid trip if I'd held out a bit longer? Quite possibly. But what I got will work for us, and I no longer have to spend my days checking the RENFE site.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 03:37 PM
CPT

I also want to provide an update. This morning I was finally able to purchase tickets online. However, only normal price was listed. I bought them regardless because it was a miracle that I even got thru to purchase the tickets after many failed attempts.

Then this afternoon, I checked again and both web price and estrella price are available. :\ The price difference is huge, from 60 Euros (normal) to 23 Euros(web). I was able to only exchange one ticket (with a small penalty fee), but not successful at the second one. Reason being is, after at least 50 attempts, the first one went thru, the second ticket prompted "error" message. After that, I was not able to get on that page again.

As funny as it sounds, my experience with RENFE is like trying to get on the radio show to win a prize by constantly redialing except I was constantly "refreshing" on the webpage.

All I can say is, definitely painful!
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 11:43 AM

Thought I would add: Although my ticket purchase was successful once I called my credit card company to tell them to allow it, I never did receive a confirmation e-mail from RENFE. Fortunately, I thought to e-mail myself a copy of the ticket PDFs. (In addition to printing them and writing down the locator number.)
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 05:07 PM

I know this might sound really stupid but what is the Estralla fare?
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 10:29 PM

A discounted fare, then the webfare is the most discounted.
The Estrella ( star) fare is 40% off, I think. The webfare 60%. Some routes have a last minute 50% off fare the day before.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 02:11 AM

hi! i sell to tickets of AVE, from Seville to Madrid (one way only), for the 5th of august, at 21:45.
60 euros both.