AVE Train Question- Sevilla to Madrid

Jan 5th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

AVE Train Question- Sevilla to Madrid

After parsing through many old posts about the AVE trains between Sevilla and Madrid, I wasn't able to answer my question, so I'm hoping someone can help.

I'm trying to look-up the timetable/cost between Sevilla and Madrid (one way) on Friday, Feb 12th, however, www.renfe.es, www.raileurope.com, and www.bahn.de don't pull up any trains on that route. It keeps giving an error message and saying there are no trains.

Being that it's just shy of a month out now, I doubt it's a matter of the schedule not being available. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Does the train still run from Sevilla to Madrid?
Jan 5th, 2010, 02:08 PM
yk

I just checked Renfe and the schedule system is down right now. Try again in the AM.
Jan 5th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Thx YK! I ended up calling RailEurope, and I guess they don't have the fares or something from them yet, which is the issue. She checked a date for me in January (duh, why didn't I think of that?!), and it seems pretty expensive, although a heckuva lot more convenient than taking a bus. Loooong ride!
Jan 5th, 2010, 02:43 PM

Once the fares are posted if you check early you should be able to get a discounted webfare. Just keep checking.
Jan 5th, 2010, 03:10 PM
yk

Elaborating what CathyM wrote, if there are still discounted seats available online (via Renfe.es), you can get Web fares for as low as 60% off; or Estrella fares at 40% off. Raileurope will only sell you tickets at full price.

The discounted fares are more restrictive, obviously.
Jan 5th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Thx to you both...I'll keep checking for sure to see if I can snag one of those discounted fares. I'm not buying from RailEurope; I was just using them for information
Jan 6th, 2010, 04:55 AM

Kylie, there seems to be a glitch on the Renfe system overall. The last trains on sale are for the 30th of January.

A friend was trying to get tickets for Fallas (that´s 19th of March) thinking of not driving and so being able to avoid the traffic jams. As it was impossible in the website, he went down to Atocha station and he couldn´t get tickets either.

It would make sense if you were trying to get tickets from June onwards, because it is when they change the summer schedules. It´s absolutely frustating ... when you manage to get a good price, it is lovely, but if not ...

Just keep checking, in case they come up (and then you can get the credit card problems ... yes, it´s not only for americans, I can only buy tickets with one of my VISA cards, precisely the one that gives me less points ...)

Bye, Cova
Jan 8th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Eze

Yes Cova you are right.

I have been trying for the whole week to get two tickets Madrid Sevilla one way for March 8th 2010 with the same result : last trains on sale are for the 30th of January.

And not a single message from Renfe to explain why...

Bye Francis
Jan 9th, 2010, 03:00 AM

Renfe won´t deign to answer ... if you read spanish, there are some groups in facebook and you can also find plenty of "horrifying" stories about Renfe and its ticket policy ...

Back to check the website and find out if there are tickets for February ...

Cova
Jan 12th, 2010, 02:20 AM
Eze

Hello Cova
Actuaaly Renfer answered my message :

Estimado cliente:

Le informamos que, normalmente, los trenes están disponibles con 62 días de
antelación, pero por determinadas circunstancias (restructuración de
plazas, horarios...), aparece como tren no disponible a la venta, eso no
significa que no vayan a ponerse a la venta. Rogamos por tanto que lo
intente un poco más adelante y para cualquier consulta puede llamar al
teléfono: 902 320 320.

I keep trying, morning and afternoon, without any success ....
i am just wondering whether their web reservation system will work one day ?
Jan 15th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Eze

I just bought my tickets on Renfe site.
So, it's not 62 days but 54 days. Yday, i only saw two trains for the day i was interested in. This morning, i saw the whole list of trains. I bought my tickets very easily and printed the tickets. I was sent a mail to confirm the deal.

I add that i bought my tickets through a mac (not Pc) and on firefox (not internet explorer. I mention this as i also read messages saying that Renfe had an old system that could be reached only by pc's and through Explorer.
So, this is no more true.
Jan 15th, 2010, 10:05 AM

Eze, you have been lucky. The only trains loaded into the system are the ones that run down to Andalucia ( Sevilla, Cadiz, Malaga ...) up to the 18th of March. Other routes, such as the northern trains or the Ave Madrid-Barcelona might have one night train or nothing at all from the 30th of January on.

It is absolutely frustrating ...

Cova
Jan 15th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Finally! Thank you for continuing to post about this. The train I need is finally available for purchase. Now, if only the website were in a language I read I'll be able to figure it out, I think. Thank you again!