Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

RENFE - Selecting seats and other questions -- Madrid to Barcelona

Old Sep 13th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I'm about to buy Renfe tickets and have a question about selecting seats. I'm buying 2 seats. The website allows me to make only one selection for seats, though -- window or aisle. I can't select both. If I select window does that mean that my husband and I will not get to sit next to each other b/c we'll both be put at windows? What am I not getting here?

Also, what does "sentido de la marcha" mean? Is it asking if we want to sit in the reverse direction, with our backs to our direction of travel?

Finally, how early should we get to the station? We're going to head out from Atocha Puerta station. I understand our baggage will be scanned. Is train boarding the way it is on Amtrak; i.e., one big cattle call and line up, or can we trickle in and get seated quite early?

Thanks!
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 11:01 PM

Sentido de la marcha.. the way the train travels (NOT reverse)

yes,cattle call line-up. be there 20 min ahead

and if you can only book windows then no aisles may be left.
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 11:11 PM

We made the trip in mid-June but we honestly can't remember whether we faced each other or sat side by side (with one uf us in an aisle seat). We seemed to have enough time to board without feeling completely rushed (not so on the Paris-London Channel Tunnel train). We each carried a roll-on bag and a backpack but I don't recall that our bags were scanned in any way (again, the Paris-London trip involved security similar to airport security). In any event, once you're on the train, it's a fairly comfortable, quick and pleasant trip. Have a good time.
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Lincasnova and Mohun!

I'll have to take another look at the seat selector. Maybe I'm not using it properly. I can't imagine there are no aisle seats left. They're still offering Estrella tickets, there must still be plenty of seats available. Then again, that's just me thinking and I've obviously never ridden Renfe before.