Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Hotel Munich in Schwabing district

Jan 24th, 2003, 07:52 AM
christina

Has anyone stayed in this property? I have a very good rate booked, and expect it to be Americanized, but is it okay? decent location? Thanks!

Jan 24th, 2003, 07:57 AM
xxx

We were offered a great rate there too, but passed, as we aren't there on business. Of course you can get to central Munich, but there's nothing around the hotel but offices -- a major business hotel.

Jan 24th, 2003, 08:08 AM
Ron

Christina, I stayed there last year and I enjoyed it. It is in a nice part of town. The staff were friendly and helpful. The U6 is next to the hotel. There were several nice restaurants close by as well as several bakeries. I didn't think of it as too "Americanized". It was an easy walk to the English Gardens.

I would stay there again.

Jan 28th, 2003, 04:13 AM
susie2

Christina, I agree with Ron. We just returned from Munich and stayed at that hotel for a week. When we go back (hopefully) in June, we'll stay there again.

Jan 28th, 2003, 08:39 AM

I am with xxx on this one. You are two stops north from Munchener Freiheit where there is alot of night life/restaurant activity, as well as showing off - the lads revving up their BMWs on Leopoldstrasse to show of the size of you know what. But in general I would not thank anyone for booking me there - no ease of just walking out and finding anything overly interesting. Munich people do not go to Nordfriedhof to look around - so why should you. In the end depends on your preference for location vs perhaps relatively good value accommodation. If this hotel was central , it would of course cost a lot more, and generally I would say central hotels in Munich offered pretty poor value.
Jan 28th, 2003, 02:10 PM

I agree also. I have a free weekend night at a Marriott or Renaissance and thought about using it as part of my four night stay in Munich this June, but when I found a deluxe room at Le Meridien for less money (yep, even with the one free night) I didn't hesitate for a minute. I'd much rather be in close walking range of things than to have to take public transport back and forth all the time.

But that's me. If I go to New York I don't like staying in Queens or New Jersey either, even though I know some people prefer it.