Search

Munich during O'FEST

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2015, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich during O'FEST

Hello
We will arrive in Munich on Saturday, September 26(four of us in our late 40's and early 50's).
I have been researching areas for lodging and came across two interesting places: Haidhausen and Schwabing. While we plan to participate in some the Oktoberfest activities, we also want to lodge in an area that may be a little less crowded. Does anyone have any experience in either of these areas or any other areas that may possibly be a little less crowded? Or any great area?
We enjoy going out, meeting locals and listening to live music and eating great food.
We will rely on public transportation and we are planning a few day trips from Munich.

Thanks
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 06:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Haidhausen is a bit out of the center as I am sure you know but has a U-Bahn stop (Rosenheimer Platz).

In case you don't know, unless you are watching one of the parades, etc., you could easily be in Munich during Oktoberfest and not even know it was happening (except for the higher than usual hotel prices that is).

I used to stay at the Hilton Munich City in the Haidhausen area but now stay closer in.

I am sure others will suggest locations for you.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 10:06 PM

Hi Cheryl-
As Dukey says,
"In case you don't know, unless you are watching one of the parades, etc., you could easily be in Munich during Oktoberfest and not even know it was happening (except for the higher than usual hotel prices that is)".
Following up Dukey's comment re hotel prices, you will have to decide how much it is worth to be close to the city center ( and the 'Fest). There are still plenty of hotels available close to the center but most are in the $300-$500 per night range. However, there is nothing wrong with staying 5-10 miles from the center of Munich and using the world class public transportation system to quickly get to your destinations. Good hotels are still available in the $200-$250 range 3 to 6 miles from the Marienplatz. In fact, I have not stayed close to the center of Munich for the 'Fest in more than 25 years. This year we are staying close to the Ost Bahnhof. We have also stayed in the Schwabing area in years past. Just try to get a hotel within 3-4 blocks of a U-Bahn or S-Bahn station and you will be good to go.
Have a great trip!!!

Old Mar 25th, 2015, 04:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One of the first times we were going to visit Munich we didn't realize that the phenomenon named after the month of October actually begins in September! Couldn't find a hotel room available, etc. We ended up staying in nearby Augsburg which we thoroughly enjoyed and took the short rail journey into Munich.

The first time we arrived in the city we actually had to ask people where all the Oktoberfest activities <B>were</B>.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for responding. We also wanted to have a neighborhood feel as well as to mix with the locals, so hopefully this area will be what we are looking for..
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 03:39 PM

Haidhausen is a good place to mix with locals - but beware: O'Fest "Gemütlichkeit" and oompah is not the average locals' lifestyle, esp. not in Haidhausen. You do find a good mix of many pubs and many restaurants, though.
Same goes for Schwabing.
But both districts are quite "fashionable" but extent further than the neighborhoods where you find the pubs and restaurant. So many hoteliers can legally label their establishment as being in Schwabing while in fact you will be on a motel mile near a freeway with not much around in walking distance.
So check any location on a map.
The "real Schwabing" extents roughly from Universität (University) subway stop to Münchner Freiheit subway stop - 3-4 blocks east and west of the subway line. Anything North of Münchner Freiheit is deadly boring residential.
The "real Haidhausen" is roughly the area within S-Bahn stations Rosenheimer Platz, Ostbahnhof and subway stop Max-Weber-Platz.
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Cowboy
You put it in the exact perspective that I was looking for but perhaps did not know how to word what I was really seeking.
I have been to several cities in Germany and have always enjoyed mixing with the locals.(after the tourists leave, even though I myself am a tourist).
I will still focus on Haidhausen as far a lodging is concerned.
Thanks for the "real Haidhausen" area Cowboy. This lets me know where to focus my search for lodging.