Reims in December

Old Sep 1st, 2006, 06:21 AM
kdappleton

Reims in December

I have done my searches in the forum and picked up much useful information but a few specific questions and I am so impressed by the amount everyone knows about traveling, so thanks in advance.
Plan to take the train from Gare d'este to Reims sometime between December 1 and 6. Gather from cathedral web site that it is open. However, Frommer's Paris book 2006 on side trips, says cathedral is closed in December. I admit I was standing in the middle of Borders reading the section so perhaps misunderstood. Is cathedral open that month?
Would like to have the acoustaguide that covers three sites in Reims, but from web site, appears that tourist office is closed in December. True?, and is there somewhere else I can rent/buy the guide? We love every little detail of museums and cathedrals.
Which two champagne places in Reims would you recommend. Will not go to Epernay because of the shortness of daylight in December, which generally leaves me with no energy by 4 or 5.

Have never eaten in starred restaurant, but La Foch looks really great. Have looked at their website, but speak no French. Do they serve at lunch time as well as dinner, and how could I get a reservation with no French. Is it necessary to have reservation for early December?

Thank you, thank you. We are very delighted by the idea of this day trip and much of that is due to prior postings.

Old Sep 1st, 2006, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am unable to help you with closings in December, but I highly recommend La Foch for lunch. I booked through e-mail in English (from their website) and received confirmation. When I arrived in Paris, I called to confirm our reservation as we had a group of five. The food and service were terrific and my companions could not believe the value for that price. Do not miss this!
Peg
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 08:19 AM

Oops, of course the restaurant is Le Foch. www.lefoch.com
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 08:34 AM

G. H. Mumm is the only champagne house I've visited in Reims (twice, in 1983 and 2004), and they offered an excellent tour. On our last visit we had the guide to ourselves, and she was extremely friendly and informative. It's easily accessible, even if you don't have a car. http://www.mumm.com/

For more Reims tourism info:
http://www.reims-tourisme.com/
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 09:10 AM

I think some of the champagne houses may not be doing tours in December, but think it's really strange if the tourism office is closed, in the center near the cathedral. It wouldn't be crucial, I popped in there and browsed at the postcards, etc., but didn't buy anything. There were tons of pamphlets, maps and tourism info just in the Musee des Beaux Arts, which I went to early in my day, so I had everything I needed. Also, I had read a guidebook and got info online so knew what I wanted to do and had a map (Earl Steinbicker's Day Trips in France is good for this one, as well as so many other places--if you are doing even a couple, I'd suggest you buy it).

AS for the cathedral, it's open every day of the year according to its website, which you saw. It's a working church, I don't see how it could be closed the whole month unless there were some extraordinary renovation going on. I wonder what Frommers Paris was referring to, or if that was an error and something got cut off.

http://www.cathedrale-reims.com
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 12:37 PM

I went to Reims last Christmas/New Year's and did a lot of research for different restaurants and champagne hosues. If you email me at [email protected], I can send you a whole list I have compiled.

The cathedral is open. Mumm and Moet & Chandon are the best champagne tours and tasting I have had. My list includes most of the major champagne houses, hours of operation, entry fee, etc. For food, l'Opera is wonderful. The hotel bar at Best Western de la Paix is fabulous.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 01:23 PM

The last week of November until about Xmas eve ( check the exact date) Reims is buzzing as it has a Xmas market. I went a few years ago, in the 1st week of December and everything was open. I went to the Mumm Champagne caves and we had a great tour. Dec 6th is St. Nicholas day and it is very big in Belguim, Germany, France and maybe some other eurpoean places. They make a big thing about the day I have been in few palces in France on that day and next to the Xmas markest they had loads of childrens things laid on with Santa of course.I often went on Xmas market trips to France or Belguim. I was in Ostend one year on Dec 6th and a boat pulled up on the beach. Out steped Santa, he then walked along the beach throwing sweets and chocolates out to all the children, there was a big crowd waiting for him. He then walked off the beach and got into a side car of a motorbike. A huge gang of bikers all dressed in their leathers with Xmas hats and tinsel then drove him around the centre slowly. The children all following and picking up more as they went along, he was still throwing out sweets and chocolates to children.