Boyer Les Crayeurs

Old Feb 25th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boyer Les Crayeurs

My husband and I are going to Paris in April and after spending a few days in Paris, we are heading to Reims to stay at Boyer Les Crayeurs for 2 nights. Has anyone stayed and eaten there? Is there enough to do for 2 full days or should we cut it down to 1 full day and spend an extra day in Paris? If anyone has any suggestions, for things to do other than the Champagne house, I'd appreciate it.

Thankyou
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 07:02 AM

My husband and I ate there about 3 years ago and it was one of the most extraordinary dining experiences I have ever had. We started with a bottle of 1992 Bollinger Grand Annee on the terrace, watching the sun set over the city. Gerard and his wife greeted each table, they were most charming and gracious. During dinner, which lasted well over 3 hours, he again went to each table and said hello and socialized a bit. I was able to have him sign a menu for me. He has now retired, and turned the kitchen over to his 'next in line'. Michelin has since dropped a star and it is now a 2 star due to his retirement. If you are staying there, I would ask them to arrange some private tours of the champagne houses that are not open to the public, such as Roederer, Krug, and Bollinger.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 07:08 AM

Over the past several years, Les Crayeres got nothing but rave reviews over on the BP site; many people said it was the dining experience of their lives.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 07:08 AM

We enjoyed Boyer les Crayeres, a delightful hotel and incredible restaurant, though it recently lost its third Michelin star. There's plenty to do in the area. The cathedral in Reims is incredible and not to be missed. Tours of the champagne houses in both Reims and Epernay are interesting. You can also track down the tomb on Dom Perignon in a little church outside of Epernay, a fun little side trip. I don't think you'll have trouble keeping enjoying Reims for two days.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 07:09 AM

As for other things to do in the area, the magnificent cathedral in Rheims shouldn't be missed. Seeing that and visiting a few Champagne houses would make for a very nice day, but I don't think you need two.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 09:43 AM

I don't know that hotel, but assuming you are right in Reims, there is plenty to do to fill two days. I don't agree that only the cathedral and champagne is worth seeing in Reims or that it is only worth a day. As long as you are staying in the hotel, I would definitely take two full days.

Aside from the cathedral, Reims has several quite good museums, art and otherwise. Their fine arts museum is a nice small one (nothing like Paris, of course, but there are some interesting works in it, quite a few Corots), and I'd also recommend highly the Saint Remi Abbey museum (history and archeology) and perhaps the Tau Palace (some royal treasury and Medieval items). Finally, if you are at all interested in WWII history, I think the Recapitulation Museum is a must-see. This is the building where Eisenhower had his headquarters and where the Germans officially surrendered and where the war was ended. They have an outstanding film shown there (about 1/2 hr) and the map room looks original to me, which was hard to believe, but maybe so (with the same maps on the wall that were there during the war for planning). It was really quite interesting--that's a short walk from the train station.

They have an excellent web site with all kinds of info on these and other things, here it is:

http://www.ville-reims.com/uk/
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 05:31 PM

My husband and I took the train from
Paris to Reims a few years ago, also in April and stayed at Boyer Les Crayeurs. It was truly a wonderful,romantic experience. The room was very pleasant and the dining experience was incredible! You will absolutely love it!! We spent one afternoon and evening there, so only had time for 2 houses, so we visited Pommery and Veuve Cliquot. As you can tell by my screen name, I discovered a new and expensive love! I think the story of Cliquot,as told in her cave,is very interesting and enlightening. Maybe it's another reason I love her champagne. Have a great time and you couldn't have made a better lodging choice!!
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 10:05 PM

I'm another traveler who has stayed here in a beautiful room with a view across the valley and had one of the most wonderful dinners of my life.

We dined like Americans (early)and when we were leaving the restaurant all the Europeans were just arriving, so we had all the attention at dinner from the staff!
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 10:14 AM

The Boyers are no longer there. I don't know if it is the same without them. I remember in the past someone posting that the time they were there that the Boyers were away..and...it was not the same when they were away! So.........