Small Champagne houses

Search

Small Champagne houses

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Small Champagne houses

I'm going on a bike to Epernay / Reims for a few days. I have my own favorite champagne houses and I don't want to visit the big 12. Where would you recommend?
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 03:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi bil,

I would recommend Jean-Noel Haton...the Rose Brut champagne is wonderful!
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 04:21 AM

I forget the name of the winery but we visited a lovely little one in Etoges, while staying at the Chateau d'Etoges (run as a hotel) right opposite. From memory Etoges is more or less just one village street. To visit the winery we knocked on the door of the owners' house, and the grandmother of the family got her keys and took us down. It was a very small operation and we saw 2 men (probably the entire permanent workforce) degorging by hand. After the tour we went back to the house and were shown into the sitting room to try each of their wines, while being shown their photograph album. It was a lovely experience and such a contrast after visiting a big house in Epernay with a slick 'visitor experience'. All of their wine is sold in France, mostly from the premises, and we bought our wedding champagne there.

From googling it looks as though it was Borel-Lucas, but I can't enter any alcohol-related websites.

Staying at the chateau was nice too, apart from the scary swans !
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks both I had looked at Etoges Hotel but turned it down for some reason, i'll look again, anymore thoughts anyone?
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 08:01 AM

Well, we really like Barnaut in Bouzy.
http://www.champagne-barnaut.com/

Several years ago (actually it was probably 2000)we were in Epernay, and decided to try to visit Bollinger, for which we knew we needed a reservation, but decided to try anyway. Went up their very grand steps, to be met by a very posh receptionist. In my best French I said that I did know we needed a reservation, but was it at all possible to look around, etc. NO. 'Oh dear', I said,with my fingers crossed, 'we are Canadian and this is our only chance.' (We ARE Canadian,but have been living here since 1994.)

'Well', she says - 'I suggest you go back to Canada! There you should talk to your negociant, and book an appointment for the next time you come!' Properly chastened, we left, went further down the road to Bouzy, met the people at Barnaut, who welcomed us in, and gave us numerous tastings.

We ordered from them, and continue to do so. It's our house champagne. Their product is good, the people are charming, and the service is great.