Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Recommended hotels for Vevey Switzerland area

Sep 10th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Hi all, I'm trying to locate a "charming" hotel in the Vevey area of Switzerland on Lac Leman for our family of four for next July. It sounds like Vevey might be a bit quieter than Montreux, and especially considering our last night may be the beginning of the Jazz Festival. However, when I started hotel shopping, it appears most of them are big hotels for groups, conferences, etc., or maybe a bit too sophisticated (for our kids...spas, etc.). I love the idea of being in a quaint village, but also near the water. Has anyone stayed at Hotel Bon Rivage in La Tour de Peilz (it gets mixed reviews on Trip Advisor), Hotel du Lac (Best Western), Hostellerie Chez Chibrac, or Hotel Bahyse (I think in Blonay?)? Any recommendations would be great, thanks!
Sep 10th, 2007, 09:34 PM

Sorry don't know those hotels as I am lucky enough to stay with friends, and the hotels I do know are lower budget... but yes Vevey is a bit more quiet and village-like and feels somehow more "Swiss" to me than Montreux... though I love them both.

Are you going to have a car? Or be getting around on foot and by bus or train? I ask as far as the exact hotel location choices.
Sep 11th, 2007, 05:42 AM

Hi, didn't stay in one of those you mentioned. But one of our dear fellow Fodorites here stayed at the 'Negociants' and liked it a lot. It looks good and I think you should give it a try.

I walked by the Hostellerie Chez Chibrac - very charming. The problem is that it is located quite isolated on Mont Pelerin. You always have to use the funicular to get down into town.

Ingo
Sep 11th, 2007, 08:29 AM

Hotel Negotiants also Hotel Geneve are both nice hotels, but they are simple places, rooms located over a restaurant. If someone is looking for something nicer or a view of the lake, these aren't that.
Sep 11th, 2007, 10:24 AM

We stayed at Hotel Masson which was on the outskirts of Montreux - it was very nice. They give you a bus pass that you can use to get into Montreux and around the area - I think it can take you into Vevey as well. Our room had a lovely lake view - it was a smaller hotel - formerly a grand home. It is very near the Chateau de Chillon and close to the lake-front promenade. The dinner provided by the hotel (if you opt to pay for it) is a real value play for Switz tho there are few choices on the menu. It is a bit of an uphill walk from the bus stop tho (about 5 minutes) which most of the time was not a problem except for the days we spent way too much time hiking in the mountains! If you don't eat at the hotel you will probably need to take the bus into Montreux - not many other restaurants right by hotel. Check it out on Tripadvisor - we enjoyed our stay there and found it a good value for the area.
Sep 11th, 2007, 10:41 AM

I visited Vevey last summer while staying in Montreux and did like it. I'm sure if the festival is going on in Montreux, it will be calmer in Vevey and it's convenient as a big line links the two. However, it's not a quaint village, so don't misunderstand that. It has major dept stores, museums, a bus system and is a town, just a little smaller than Montreux, actually. The population is around 15,000.
Sep 11th, 2007, 10:49 AM

I, too, stayed at Masson near Montreux. It's more of a small Inn, not really a kids kind of place. I want to warn you that in June we had very warm weather and our room was impossibly hot. Even though we opened the windows, there was no air movement and they didn't have fans. Since you'll be there in July with childrn, I'd search for something with a/c!
Sep 11th, 2007, 10:53 AM

I stay at the Hostellerie de Genève on the main square, when I go to Vevey to visit friends. It is simple, as mentioned above, and over a restaurant, but the price is right for Vevey and Switzerland. You can see the the lake from room windows (about 50 meters away from the hotel). It does help to speak French, because the staff speaks little English. However, I've gotten along fine without speaking French.

Here is the hotel web site: http://www.hotelgeneve.ch/indexE.htm

Be sure to visit the Hotel des Trois Couronnes and have lunch or dinner overlooking the lake. It's a couple hundred meters from the main square. If money were no object, I'd stay here. However, having a meal or even just cocktails here is what Switzerland is all about and shouldn't be missed.

Sep 11th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the replies!

Suze, I don't think we'll have a car...we'll spend 6 days in Paris prior, and thought it best to take train so as not to pay big drop fee.

Am realizing Vevey may not be so charming. I like the idea of being in a village, but perhaps if we stay at the Hotel Bon Rivage (which can accommodate us) in La Tour de Peilz, we'd be within walking distance to Vevey? It looks like there might be a walking path all along the lake in that area? I will check Negociants.

Thanks for warning about a/c! The Hotel Masson does look lovely, but perhaps I should look for something with a/c or a bit more family friendly.

Anyone who has stayed at Hotel Bon Rivage?

Sep 11th, 2007, 12:49 PM
GBC

In Glion, on the hillside above the lake, and just above Chillon, check out Hotel Victoria. We had a wonderful visit there and enjoyed a great view out over the lake below. It is a large hotel, but also charming.
Sep 11th, 2007, 12:53 PM

Yes, you can easily walk along the lake from La Tour de Peilz to Vevey. I know because I've done it more than a few times!

Personally, I think Vevey has oodles of "charm". It's a modern town sure (this isn't Heidi or anything), but with a beautiful Old Town central area, a few pedestrian walking streets, authentic local workman's cafes, and the jaw-dropping gorgeous quai along the lakeside.

Don't miss the outdoor markets, if you want to experience a local feel. Tues and Sat morning in Vevey or Fri morning in Montreux.
Sep 11th, 2007, 02:00 PM
sj

Check out The Helioda in Les Avants, a village above Montreux. I have stayed there in the past and liked it.
sj
Sep 11th, 2007, 02:24 PM

We walked most of the "wine trail" between all those charming little villages along the lake....St Saphorin, Dezaley, Epesses, Lutry Cully, Rivaz, Calamin, Chexbres. We also hopped on and off the local train and the "wine train" whenever we got the itch. It's gorgeous there!
http://www.vins-vaudois.com/e/discov...?sub=14&cid=37

Honestly, you can stay about anywhere there and use the regional trains and buses (FUN!) to get around. It's impossible to describe how easy it is to get around Switzerland. An absolute idiot will figure it out in minutes.
I'm sitting here looking at this cute little map of the area. I would be glad to send you some of the stuff I picked up there to peruse. Email me at [email protected] and I'll be glad to send it to you for your planning. I also have some hotel books.
Sep 11th, 2007, 02:38 PM

hi, guanciale,

we stayed at the hotelgeneve a couple of years ago. It is rooms above a restaurant, but they were nice clean rooms with perfectly adequate bathrooms. the meal we had in the restaurant was fine and so far as i remember, the breakfast Ok. we had a partial view of the lake.

my only reservation was that on a sat [and tues?] am they have the market right there in the square, and they seemed to start setting up at about 3am. the market was very interesting, but i was a bit tired!
Sep 12th, 2007, 09:57 AM

I also stayed at the Masson and found it charming. It was October, though, and not hot (in fact it rained most nights). If you're looking for a hotel with A/C you need to spend a lot of money.

The Masson is located in Veytaux, between Montreux's centre and Chateau Chillon - it is village - like ambience. Not Heidi-like, but calm and very nice.

Btw, I think Vevey has a charming old town.

Sorry, no idea about the Bon Rivage.

Ingo
Sep 13th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thank you so much for all the replies. I have not had the time to check out info from the more recent replies, but will do so tomorrow, I hope!
Sep 13th, 2007, 04:55 PM

Hi guanciale,

I'll try to give you some help on the hotels you mentioned --

I really like the idea of the Bon Rivage; I've walked past it a number of times and always thought it would be a perfect little hotel. It's in a great location, a quiet spot just steps away from central Vevey and not far from the little dock & castle at La Tour. Yes, the lakeside promenade goes from the dock at La Tour onward to Vevey.

I walked past the Bahyse in Blonay a few weeks ago. I really liked the village of Blonay, but it's not near the water and has none of the charm of a lakeside village. It's a neat little village in the pre-alps. The train from Vevey takes about 20 minutes.

You should also look into the Ermitage, a well known restaurant that also has seven rooms to rent. It's right on the water in Montreux. It can be noisy at night, though, as the diners kept me up until past midnight one year.

Well, none of these towns will have the charm of a mountain village -- the architecture is mansard mainly with a bit of Deco, and the interiors are Belle Epoque/Deco. Oh, and in Montreux you have a lot more modern buildings and even a few high-rise towers that spoil the ambiance. But the flowered lakeside promenade is really lovely. Unfortunately, we're about 50 years too late to be finding these places as "villages." There are a few left, though, if you want to explore:

Morges, between Lausanne & Geneva, is a lovely village with a pedestrian-only central cobbled street and a beautiful lakeside park. It has one four-star hotel on the lake and a few three-star hotels on the central cobbled street in town.

Lutry, between Vevey & Lausanne, is in the heart of the vineyards of the Lavaux and is right on the lake. It's a charming medieval village with some preserved buildings with historical signposts in English. I've only spent a few hours here so don't know about any hotels. I bet you could find some at www.lutry.ch.

Villeneuve, on the other side of Chillon, is my favorite village on the lake. But, unfortunately, there are only a few hotels there. This is a really sleepy little village at the very end of the lakeside promenade, very charming with little shops and cafes.

Anyway, good luck!

s