Montreux and Glion

Jun 11th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Montreux and Glion

Hi All,

I am currently trying to decide on the best place for my husband and I to stay at Montreux. We will be catching the train from Paris on 9 October 08 and staying in Montreux for one night before catching the Golden Pass train to Interlaken and heading up to Murren for 3 nights and then Luzern for another 2 nights.

I've come across some reasonable BnB's in Glion, one in Montreux and have thought about Hotel Splendid or Villa Toscane. Any thoughts on the best option would be appreciated, is it realistic to head to Glion for one night? I have expanded our search there to try and keep the price under 200CHF.

Thanks!
Jun 12th, 2008, 01:28 AM

Hi allieS,

Of my 10 trips to Montreux, I've stayed in Glion four times. I do love the place for its seclucsion and its sweeping views over the lake, and I love one particular hotel that's located there.

However, I don't think Glion is a good idea for a single overnight. For one thing, it takes too much additional time to get there. You have to take a further train up to Glion, or take a bus to Territet and then the funicular to Glion. All of that additional travel time will detract from the few hours that you have in town. For another thing, the most beautiful spot (imo) is the flowered lakeside promenade, and with so little time, you should stay as close to that as possible so you can memorize the views and the ambiance.

I wouldn't stay at the Toscane -- it sits across the street from the lake and its views are obscured by a big hotel right at the lake. The Splendid would be ok I think but a little noisy as it's right in the center of town.

A lot of people like the Hotel Masson, just outside of Montreux. Once I spent 10 days at the Auberge des Planches in the old town, and it was 99 chf for a single.

Good luck!

s
Jun 12th, 2008, 05:39 AM

We enjoyed our stay at Hotel Victoria in Glion....make sure you book a room with a view...the views are stunning.
http://www.jpmoser.com/hotel-victoria-montreux.html
Jun 12th, 2008, 06:28 AM

Hi again,

Yes, the Victoris is the hotel I was referring to above. But -- doubles start at 270 chf. I assumed that was over your limit?

s
Jun 12th, 2008, 07:48 AM

We stayed in Glion for our 5 night trip to Switzerland and absolutely agree with everything Swandav said - it's a beautiful, beautiful area but with luggage and everything and for just one night I would stay in Montreux. One of my favourite (of many choices!) memories is walking along the lakeside promenade in Montreux and stopping for a crepe and watching the sunset...

I don't know anything about the hotels - we stayed in a tiny little B&B in the middle of nowhere. But everything Swandav told me for our trip was exactly right so I'm sure he's right about these recommendations too!

Have a great trip - our Switzerland trip goes down as one of our nicest weeks ever
Jun 12th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice everyone If I could stretch the budget for Hotel Victoria would it be worth the one night Swandav? The catch is that it actually the night of our wedding anniversary. Our five week trip is our present for each other (or perhaps just me), but 70CHF extra isn't a big stretch.

If not I think I might go for Hotel Masson, or a bnb 9 and 3/4 from the bnb.ch website which is located in the old town.
Jun 13th, 2008, 01:57 AM

Hi again,

I do really love the Hotel Victoria. Yet I still think it's just too far to go for a single overnight. If only you had two or three nights --

I looked at the bnb site at the offerings in Montreux, and don't know which one you mean. Really, none of them really floated my boat.

You may want to also look at the 3-star Hostellerie Bon Rivage, which is just outside of Vevey but sits right on the lake. I think that would be a magical location for a special night.

Hi pittpurple! Thank you for the kind words! I was thinking of you in your sweet little Glion B&B when I first read this.

Have fun!

s
Jun 13th, 2008, 06:54 AM

Agree with swandav (as usual ;-) ) that it isn't worth the effort to haul up all the luggage and yourselves to Glion for just one night.

I've stayed at the Masson for a week some years ago and loved it. It has a lot of old-world charm (be prepared for flowery wallpapers, LOL) and it is family run. Ask for a room with lake view and with a little luck you can enjoy the sunset over the lake from your room (or even from the balcony).

Ingo
Jun 13th, 2008, 04:29 PM

Nothing against Glion, but I don't think it's really practical for a 1 night stay in Montreux.

Have you considered Helvetie?
Jun 14th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Based on your advice, I have crossed Glion off the list. Swandav the Hostellerie Bon Rivage does look like a pretty good option, their rooms look quite nice and the location on the lake is brilliant. The BnB I noticed on the bnb.ch site was www.neuftroisquarts.ch but I think that your suggestion looks better.
Jun 15th, 2008, 02:04 AM

Hi again,

Yes, I have a short list of lovely hotels I *need* to stay at, and the Bon Rivage is one of them!

No, I'm not wild about the location of that B&B. I really like to be right at the lake's edge so I can sit on my balcony and watch the parade of folks strolling on the promenade. That's a real must for me!

Let us know what you decided and how your trip went, ok?

Have a great time!

s
Jun 16th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Swandav! There'll be a trip report when I get back
Jun 22nd, 2008, 03:25 PM

May I "piggy-back" to this link and ask a followup question please? I really appreciate all of the info I am reading about Montreux and am planning now to add to the front end of my trip to Neuchatel in late July. Can you suggest a nice hotel with a view that might be in competition with the Grand Hotel Excelsior or the Majestic but for a "little" bit less $? My husband and I will be taking the train in from Geneva and staying two nights in Montreux.
Thanks in advance!
Jun 23rd, 2008, 01:26 AM

For Goat --

Here are a few to try.

In Territet, a suburb of Montreux, try the Hotel Masson, a favorite of Fodorites.

At the edge of Montreux, try the Golf-Hotel

In La-Tour-de-Peilz (just next to Vevey), try the Hostellerie bon Rivage.

If you don't mind being a bit isolated from the action, try the Hotel Victoria in Glion, which sits above Montreux. You can get there either by funicular from Territet (runs every 15 minutes) or by train from Montreux.

Have fun!

s